Saturday, May 30, 2015

In Real Life

One of my favourite things about the blogging community is when I get to meet a blogger In Real Life. This past Wednesday I was so happy to be able to spend the day with blogger Patricia from Red Cardinal. She and her husband Gary were headed back home to Australia after visiting their daughter in Ottawa, and had a day's layover in Vancouver.

I picked them up at their hotel and we headed to the place at the top of their "must see" list for Vancouver. Stanley Park is at the top of most people's list of things to see and do when in the city, and the great thing about it is those of us who live nearby never get tired of going there either.

We saw the Totem Poles.




Patricia is an art major and volunteers at an art gallery in Brisbane, so she was very interested in the designs carved on the poles.




She's also an admirer of Emily Carr's paintings, and as we drove through Stanley Park she could see how Emily Carr was inspired by the deep, dark, dense coastal forests. We stopped at Prospect Point, where we were treated to a classical musician playing the erhu.  Here's a link if you would like to hear him play. By this time we were famished, so decided to have lunch at the restaurant there. Not only was the view terrific, the food was amazing. I had a salmon burger on the best gluten-free bun I've ever eaten. I was positive they had made a mistake and given me a wheat bun, and even double checked with the server. I need to get ahold of that recipe!




We had a tough decision to make after we finished our lunch. We only had time to see one more attraction before they needed to be back to their hotel. In the end we decided to go to the Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden, and save Granville Island for our next meet-up. It turned out to be a good choice. I had never been before, and the garden was very pretty. I felt like I was back in China, minus the crowds of people.




I especially loved the rock mosaics. The designs looked like they could be incorporated into some knitting. 




All too soon it was time to say goodbye. We never stopped talking the whole time we were together, and both Patricia and Gary were very patient with all of my questions about life in Australia. Most of them were about snakes. I am petrified of them, and can't imagine living in a place that has an abundance of them, especially since they have the kind that can kill you. Of course, Patricia had the same concerns about life in Canada with our bears. I pointed out that while we might have bears, at least they aren't poisonous. And on that note, here is what I purchased at the gift shop in Stanley Park to remember what turned out to be a very special day.





24 comments:

  1. This is great -- looks like you guys had an interesting day. Coincidentally, tomorrow I'll be putting up a post about a real life meet-up!

    Love that cup! And I'm with you...I'm more concerned with big poisonous snakes than with bears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day! And I love that mug you bought, it's hilarious and a nice shape AND a lovely, tangible memory of a very fine day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to meet up with another blogger, sounds like you had a wonderful day together. The mug was a great memento of a special day. I don't like the idea of snakes or bears....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice day you had with them. I enjoy Patricia's blog too. I love visiting places like this, with beautiful gardens and culture and art mixed in too. I'm glad you had a good meetup, she seems like such a nice lady and I can tell that you hit it off together. Your mug is funny! I love it. Hope you're having a good weekend, Kristie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pleased you got to meet with a fellow blogger, looks like a great time. Love that mug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kristie,
    I've been lucky enough to meet a few fellow bloggers too. They were all exactly how they come across on their blogs! I liked hearing their voices. It looks like you had a lovely day out. I did chuckle at the mug!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely day for you both, and it must be lovely to visit Stanley Park whenever you want. I loved it when we visited. The mosaics are beautiful, and I love the mug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those rock mosaics are inspirational!! Love the mug as well.
    One of these days it will be our turn :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great mug for your tea!!! How wonderful that you and Patricia got to meet, she and you are both so lovely I can totally see why you got on so well! I have to say that I am with Patricia on the bears and you on the snakes - and the spiders! I hope that the two of you get to meet again one day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that mug! How funny that you should find it on the day you said at least bears aren't poisonous. Nevermind that they might eat you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not sure if I would prefer to be snake food or bear food, both sound scary :-) It sounds like you had a lovely day with your Australian friends. We are planning to visit your part of the world in about two years time (Annies 'god' parents live in Vancouver), I do hope to see the places you show in real life. And you, of course, if you have time. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely visit! I think I would take bears over snakes. :) Just thinking about snakes gives me the chills.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You chose two really lovely places to visit. The food at tourist-y places in DC is not very good (but is very expensive), so your experience at the restaurant is a big surprise. I didn't know Australia had so many snakes, I may have to cross it off my list of places to visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great mug! They'd go great in our camper lol! Vancouver is such a beautiful city, it's wonderful you were able to meet up with a blogging friend.im sure it was a high point on their trip! Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like a lovely catch up and a wonderful day out!! I am reading Ting Ting to my class at the moment (8-9 year olds) and they are constantly nagging me to read them the next chapter - they love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Kristie, thank you for a really lovely day in Vancouver - I loved it all! You photos are so excellent, especially the Chinese Moon Gate. Everything we saw was so interesting and beautiful, and I enjoyed the link to the musicians very much. I was reading Ting Ting on the plane :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How amazing! Looks like a wonderful time to be had by all! And that mug...too awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so fun to meet our bloggy friends for Real. I would have asked all the same questions about Australia, plus some extra ones about box jellyfish and spiders. :)

    That mug is hilarious, and those mosaics are lovely and very inspiring indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband and I will be spending a day in Vancouver in August, so I loved getting a little "preview" of Stanley Park... which is at the top of our list of places to go! Where else do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granville Island is fun, and many visitors like going up Grouse Mountain on the gondola, or walking across the Capilano Suspension Bridge. It's also nice to go to one of the many beaches. There are lots of things to choose from, but you're off to a good start if you have Stanley Park at the top of your list. :-)

      Delete
  20. how wonderful! I have had the pleasure of meeting a blogging friend and I loved it immensely. We talked like we'd known each other forever. Lovely photos and maybe you'll meet up again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That mug is totally brilliant!

    I'm so glad you had such a special day ... isn't the world of blog just the most wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. No rattlesnakes in BC?
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stanley Park and the Chinese garden look wonderful places to visit and meet a fellow blogger. My great grandmother relocated to Vancover and the family she had in Canada have mentioned Stanley Park so it was exciting to see it. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete