Sunday, June 28, 2015

About the Blanket

When I put up my new blog header last week I suddenly realized I had never posted about the blanket that's in the middle of the collage. To be honest, I'm not much of a blanket knitter. There are dozens of socks and sweaters and vests to be found in my home, but not a single handknit blanket. Still, a new baby needs a new blanket, so with the upcoming birth of Rebekah and Anton's first child I cast on.

It can be a bit overwhelming trying to pick out a baby blanket pattern. I wanted one that wasn't too fussy. It needed to look like it would stand up to not just babyhood, but could also be used down the road to build blanket forts, snuggle up with while watching a movie, or simply using on a bed without having it look babyish.

That took the Ravelry search down from over 13,000 to a more manageable number in the low hundreds, but that was still a lot of patterns to choose from. It wasn't until I started thinking about this baby, and how she will be the first one in their family to be born in Canada, that I knew which blanket I needed to knit. Here's my version of the Hudson Bay Inspired Crib Blanket.




I used Rowan's Pure Wool Worsted yarn to knit the blanket. It has become my "go to" yarn when I want to knit with superwash yarn. In general I'm not a fan of superwash, but let's face it. What new mom wants to hand wash a baby blanket? And even if she did, I could see disaster in the making the first time Anton did a load of baby clothes.




I was surprised at how big it was once I cast off and spread it out on the floor. Definitely big enough for a blanket fort at some future date!




I have to confess that I was more than a little bit tired of garter stitch by the time I finished. And the bigger the blanket grew, the hotter and more unwieldy it became to work with. But I'm really happy with the finished project, and hope the parents to be are as well. I told myself I couldn't cast on any baby sweaters until I got this off the needles, so the minute this was finished a baby kimono was cast on. More on that next time...

27 comments:

  1. I love this blanket, Kristie. I think it's so clever to knit a blanket in the style of Hudson's Bay blankets. I've always loved them but they are so expensive. This seems like a really nice way to give a baby a good, sturdy blanket in a very classic style. I'm so excited for the new addition to your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely perfect for the new baby and will be used for many years after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! And I like your thought process to find something that will withstand babyhood but be really useable afterwards...it's was a great choice! (I like your new header by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a truly beautiful blanket Kristie, one I would happily use for myself (no babies on the horizon for us, phew). I do love the colours very much. I get bored with all big projects, garter stitch or fussy pattern. It is the sheer endless rows that make me loose the will to knit. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing looks better than a Hudson's Bay blanket. Definitely worth persevering through all that garter stitch.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of garter stitch!! But it is beautiful and such a well thought out project! I'm happy to hear your reviews of the Rowan yarn, I've never knit with it. The new parents will love it and probably take advantage of its warm snuggliness too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will be a very useful blanket for many years. What you said about washing reminded me of what happened after I had my daughter. I was in hospital for longer than expected and asked hubby to wash the baby clothes and bring them back. He put them in the tumble drier and shrank them. They barely fitted our daughter when he returned them. I wasn't too pleased. I think it might have been a ploy to make sure I did all the extra baby clothes washing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful work Kristie! It will be loved and appreciated for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to pick a pattern that will grow with the baby. I have so many "baby" blankets stored in the attic made for my children by relatives. I'm giving them to my kids as they have their own children, so hopefully will clear my stash eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is quite striking, what a lovely gift made with love for a new family addition. Such a clever idea to make one with such traditional roots to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the blanket and the story behind choosing it. For an unedged garter stitch it is very even at the edges!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Hudson Bay design really appeals to me, Kristie, and what a fantastic idea to make it as a baby blanket. Your are full of inspiration! I love that little peek at your beautiful trees over the top of the porch, you live in a paradise area.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful blanket, and it will become part of the baby's "story"...the first Canadian baby, and knit by you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these colours - what a great blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this pattern! I can see how the garter stitch would start to get boring after a bit, but it looks wonderful! This is definitely a blanket that will grow with the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. just so wonderful blanket you knitted, it'll will be inspiration when I start my charityknitting again, just now it is embroidering going on.take care Jaana

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is wonderful and I love the Hudsons Bay Company theme!!! That is wonderful!!! I think that I remember you knitting some socks in these colours too? They remind me of you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a wonderful pattern and blanket, one to grow with. Actually sometimes the monotony of garter stitch can't be beat.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks awesome! I love the color combination and the stripes. I understand about the garter stitch monotony--I am not really fond of knitting patterns that repetitive! But the ending result of your blanket makes the garter stitch seem less formidable to me. It looks like a blanket I would rather like to have! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This turned out beautifully....an authentic Canadian icon for the new Canadian in your family....very appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your new blogger header made me smile it captures so many of your favourite things! The blanket is so lovely. I made one for my nephew when I was 14 and it was far from perfect unlike yours! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautiful blanket, and one that will be used and cherished for years to come x

    ReplyDelete
  23. gorgeous blanket!!! I can see how the garter stitch would have been tedious, but then that is what the tv was invented for :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a lot of blanket. And a very lovely blanket :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a gorgeous blanket - one that will definitely accompany a child as she grows. :)

    ReplyDelete