Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sunday News

Three letters perfectly sum up things from my little corner of the planet. HOT. Hot as in day after day of record breaking heat. Also record breaking lack of rain. The only rain we have seen in weeks happened one morning early last week, and by the time that day was over I could see what a mistake the weather gods had made with that decision. The rain lasted about a half hour, and didn't really cool things down. What it did do as the day wore on was turn the outdoors into a steam bath.

Today has made the last couple of weeks look like child's play. It is 35 degrees Centigrade ( 95 Fahrenheit) as I sit here writing this post. It's too hot to think, too hot to do anything, and ironically, it's even too hot to walk down to the lake to go for a swim and try to cool off. I tried that a few days ago, and by the time I walked back home all the goodness of the swim had been cancelled out by the hot walk back.

My current strategy is to get up early and do everything that needs to be done in the morning. Today I went out to the blueberry farm and picked 13 pounds of berries. Then I came home and went for a walk. Next up was trying to figure out the instructions to Elizabeth Zimmermann's Baby Sweater on Two Needles. She's known for her pithy instructions, but I would say she's outdone herself for pithiness with this little sweater. There's a very good chance it might end up with three sleeves. Or worse yet, no sleeves, by the time I finish.

In fact, I was still working on this sweater this afternoon, but due to the heat and not being able to think properly, I made a mistake in one of the lace rows. By the time I fixed that I decided I might have better luck blogging than knitting.

So on this extremely hot day, the hottest day on record for Cultus Lake, I have a finished project to share with you. A blanket. Yes, I know I showed you the Hudson's Bay baby blanket I knit in my last post, but there's another baby blanket I've made, and I have to say I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.



I saw the instructions for this over at the SeeKateSew blog, and instantly fell in love with it. Now, I'm not a quilter. And I'm rubbish at sewing. But this quilt had the word yarn in its name, and I have lots of yarn, so I figured it was meant to be. That just left the fabric, batting and thread to buy and I would be all set. Oh, and the help of my kind knitting/quilting neighbour Lynda, who supplied the expertise.

I think this new little grandchild will have lots of fun pointing to all of the animals and making the accompanying noises, and probably her parents will too.




I also think with two blankets I can now rest assured that this baby won't get cold. Not that there would be any danger of that right now, but before we know it the cool, damp weather will have returned. And before we know it this new baby will have arrived. She's due in about four weeks!




23 comments:

  1. Hot and dry here, too. All of BC I think! The island is blanketed in hazy fog today, worse down south island but certainly a thick haze here. Makes the heat seem more intense.
    Love your baby quilt/blanket.
    I've looked at that two needle sweater pattern. Pithy is exactly the word I'd use!
    Stay cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should say hazy SMOKE, not fog. Smoke coming over from the Sechelt fire among others. My brain is the thing in the fog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kristie. The heat there sounds unbearable. I'm sorry. I think we've got your usual weather down here in the southwest this summer. I've heard that El Nino is causing the flip-flop of weather patterns in the western part of the continent. We're cooler and wetter than normal down here. I hope you can stay cool. Drink lots of water. I love your quilt, it's beautiful. The reverse side, the green one, is awesome. I loved learning handwriting in school. It was very important to me to have nice writing. Take care and have a good week. I hope it cools off for you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that planket, sorry to read that you have even hotter than we have had, yesterday we had 29,7 C and today will only be about 20, that's perfect.take care Jaana

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so hot here in BC and it's only early July! This summer is going to be a doozy. Love the quilted baby blanket, the fabric is so cute! Only 4 more weeks, you must be so excited!! Keep cool In the days to come, poor Rebekah, 8 months pregnant and it's hot .

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hot down here, too...41 C...unheard of...and no rain for two weeks...despite the other half of the country being under water.
    What a delight for a child that blanket will be....wish i'd been presented with one when young!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable baby blanket - yarn tied! - you have made, Kristie. The fabrics are beautiful. It sounds like we made it away from Canada just in time. 35 deg and over is no fun, and I understand completely when you say going for the swim in not worth the effort. Sometimes we feel that way even about going down to our backyard pool. I don't like the prospect of our next Summer, if that is what is happening in the Northern Hemisphere! Only four weeks, such a delightful thing to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to the link for the baby blanket. I'm not a quilter either. But I can sew and this seems like a perfectly possible pattern for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the baby blanket, the fabric was a real delight. Such exciting times welcoming a new baby, hope all goes well. The heat is not sounding good, we are starting to cool down this week, it really was a MINI heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely blanket, the colour of the backing with the letters is gorgeous. A very cool colour! Sorry it's so unbearably hot with you. We had a hot moment last week as well of around 35C in some places, but it didn't last at all. The greenery must be suffering with the lack of rain, I imagine it's all gone very brown by now. I hope it cools down soon for you. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a very lovely blanket, especially the green side with letters. It looks very well made. It's up and down weather here in the south-east UK. We had a couple of very hot days last week (36 degrees on Wednesday which is very unusual here on the coast) and it was fabulous to be able to walk into the sea for a swim and cool off. We're back to the more normal 21 degrees today. Sorry you're suffering. Hope it cools down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. is this the sweater that is february baby sweater?? I'll email you something that has better directions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I found you via Karen. It's hot here on the coast of SC too and with the daily rain the humidity is just wicked,
    The baby blankets are cute and have no fear, winter will come...I hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your quilt, beautiful job. The weather has been weird here too, at least it is a pleasant 22C today, though cloudy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our outdoor thermometer, in the shade, read 38 C late yesterday afternoon! I totally agree with your strategy for coping with the heat. Get the errands, exercise, even dinner preparations done first thing, then knit and/or quilt in the hot afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw, the blanket IS cute--I love the other side, too. The only good thing about our heat and humidity here is that it's to be expected and therefore just about everyone has central A/C. Ours is running for the first time in about a week here! It's been cooler than usual. It seems our coasts have flipped flopped.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know if you want more to knit, but I thought of you when I saw this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1782210687/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1782210687&linkCode=as2&tag=weefolkart-20&linkId=3KUVG7BIL754MHEU

    ReplyDelete
  18. Weather is as normal here in Scotland (a little bit wet, a little bit warm, always windy). I hope it is cooling down for you soon. The new baby blanket is adorable. I really like the fabric you chose. Animals are always popular with children. We have no blueberry farms here but we'll be picking strawberries and raspberries next week. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The new baby definitely won't get cold with your lovely blankets. Our weather (in Northern Ireland) is currently a bit of sunshine, around 16C with lots of showers. But to be honest, I prefer that to the sort of hot weather you are getting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It has been hot and dry here too but today it is very windy with plenty of showers.
    Your new baby blanket is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goodness, only 4 weeks! Already?! Love the quilt :)

    We've had a couple of super hot 35 degree days here but thankfully it's cooled down again now

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt is so lovely with all of those animals. I'm glad it hasn't been so hot here! How does Fergus cope with the heat? Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lucky baby, with a fab blanket and a truly gorgeous quilt to her name even before she arrives. :) We've had similar temperatures on a couple of days here in Normandy, while further south it's been 40C or even more at times! Too hot to do anything...

    ReplyDelete