Friday, July 10, 2015

Two Wee Sweaters

After almost three weeks of heat we finally have a cool day. The world feels and smells fresh again. Now we just need some rain to come along and give everything a good soak. Of course, the first day we are forecast to have rain is Sunday, which also happens to be the day Rebekah and Anton are bringing his parents and aunt out to visit. His parents live in Toronto, and his aunt lives in Siberia. I had several things planned to do with them the day they are here, but am now scrambling to come up with some alternate activities in case it's wet outside. It's all made a bit more complicated due to the fact his aunt only speaks Russian. I anticipate lots of smiling, head nodding and hand gestures.

I've talked about the little kimono I was knitting for Rebekah's baby, and I finally have a picture to show you. It's actually been done for a couple weeks, but I didn't get the project up on Ravelry until today. Rebekah had requested this pattern, and she chose the yarn, so I'm pretty sure she's going to be happy with it.


Seamless Kimono


This next sweater I'm not so sure about. In fact, when we were looking at potential baby patterns on Ravelry a few months ago I think she might have actually vetoed this one. It is so small I'm quite sure it will only fit for about three minutes after the baby is born, and it has a name that leaves a bit to be desired. But I thought it was cute as a button, which is why I have renamed it Button Button on my Ravelry project page.


Puerperium Cardigan

The best part of making this wee cardigan was choosing the buttons. My friend and neighbour Lynda has a button collection and invited me to come have a look. We had a blast sifting through hundreds of buttons, coming up with just the right colours. There might have been a glass of wine involved at some point as well.


Picture credit to Lynda

Now I'm down to Elizabeth Zimmermann's Baby Sweater On Two Needles. Karen from Pumpkin Sunrise very kindly came to my rescue and sent some expanded instructions, so I now have high hopes of it actually getting completed, and having it resemble a sweater for a human baby instead of something from the animal kingdom. 

22 comments:

  1. How cute! Don't forget to post pictures of the baby IN the sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the sweaters are adorable, you must all be getting so excited!! I agree with you, that sweaters name is kinda weird and a bit creepy! I find EZ's patterns and instructions too pithy too, leaves me scratching my head. Have fun with the rest of the family this weekend. We are looking forward to some cooler air soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are so cute! Are you getting smoked out? I'm currently sitting in the Vancouver airport waiting to head back to FSJ and it's quite hazy out there. So far, we are okay with fires in our field areas...burning all around but now where we plan to go. Then again, it's only early July. Some rain would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where in Siberia is the auntie from? (Big place!). How exciting that the two families will be able to spend time together!

    The sweaters are lovely, and I am sure they will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love knitting baby kimonos. They are an interesting change from the usual baby cardigans and so easy to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both your cardigans are lovely. The buttons look great too, I love a button stash, as you say fun running your fingers through them all. The only annoying thing is finding only 5 when you need 6 and then having to start again!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely cardigans. Please show a photo or two of them being worn :-) Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're both gorgeous, well done you, I know they will be loved. I like the image of you and Lynda drinking wine and playing with her button collection. It sounds like the very best of evenings. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are lovely cardigans Kristie. I made the second one before (I think). Twice, with long sleeves. I am sure Rebekkah will love it, too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are both gorgeous and will be loved and worn much I am sure!! Well, for as long as they fit of course!! I hope that you enjoy the visit from the relatives, you might pick up some Russian too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both are adorable, but the one with buttons is particularly nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your guests "home" language might be foreign to you, but you all speak the language of LOVE. Our dear Nonno taught us that lesson well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are both beautiful, but been such a fan of buttons the button one appealed that little bit more. Hope you enjoy your visitors and hopefully the rain doesn't spoil your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a precious time you are having, Kristie. I don't know which to love the most - the purple kimono is a beautiful shade, and the tiny cardi really has the most gorgeous trail of buttons. What a well-dressed little babe this will be :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you had a great day and the weather held for you. Beautiful knitting xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very lovely! I am sure both the sweaters will be loved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful cardigans :) I'm glad the expanded version fleshed out the pithy ones that EZ are famous for! She was a genius though...

    ReplyDelete
  18. R will love Button Button (even if it never fits, it will be an amazing keepsake) and the kimono.

    I drafted, but never posted, a post wondering if Canadians were stealing Russian Wi-Fi. I didn't know of any Russian followers, but at the time I was getting a significant number of visits attributed to Russia. It was strange...as was my theory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! I love all the different buttons

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh those sweeters are so cute, love all the bottons.take care Jaana

    ReplyDelete
  21. All baby sweaters are cute, it's a fact, but those multi colour buttons ramp up the cuteness factor even more:o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. She is definitely going to be the best-dressed baby around at this rate, Kristie. These are so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete