Saturday, August 15, 2015

Fred and George and Ella

After the summer sweater disaster I was feeling the need to cast on a quick project, one with a relatively high probability of success. The Fred & George socks had been in my Ravelry queue since Interweave Knits came out with their special Harry Potter edition back in 2013. I love the colourwork in these socks, so decided it was time to cast on.




They were a quick knit, and I liked making them enough I might try them again in some different colours. By the way, it isn't an optical illusion that the left sock looks a bit bigger than the right. I knit the right sock first using cubic needles, which are supposed to be easier on your hands. Not only did I find they actually hurt my hands, I didn't like the way they felt when I was knitting with them. I switched to regular double pointed needles for the second sock, and obviously felt way more relaxed knitting it. The size difference won't matter when I'm wearing them, so it's not a big deal. But if they had been something like sleeves on a sweater it would have been, so I guess the lesson here is beware of switching needle types in the middle of a project.

In other news I've been in to visit baby Ella this week. I had already forgotten just how tiny she is! Rebekah is feeling much better, and we even managed to take Ella for a walk down to Jericho Beach.




She seems to be a very calm baby, even though it doesn't look like it in the picture of the two of us.




In other news, it has cooled off here again, and we've had some much needed rain. There are so many fires in our province right now, including one near Harrison Lake, not too far from where we live. Yesterday I went for a hike up Teapot Hill. I've started using Nordic walking poles when I go, which makes it a much better workout. I like how they match this teapot.




I did the hike just before the storm hit. The sun was filtering through the trees, and it was so beautiful I just had to stop and take a picture.



Have a great weekend!

21 comments:

  1. Ella is gorgeous isn't she!!! So tiny!!! Glad that Rebekah is doing well too. I love your socks, they are fabulous!!!!!! Hope you enjoy your walks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful baby, beautiful socks, beautiful sunlight and shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is just gorgeous and you look so happy with her in your arms.
    Hugs,
    MEredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Baby Ella look great together! It must be such a happy time for all of you. Love love love those socks!! Interesting about the dp squares , I have never used them. I just knit a pair of socks with the Karbon ones. They were ok, super pointy but I didn't like the join, I noticed it too much.Enjoy your great hikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable photo of you with baby Ella, Kristie. It made my morning! She really is a beautiful babe. The Fred and George sox are great, delightfully fun - I wish I could knit something like that. The view on Teapot Hill is so nice, I'd love to climb it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not used to seeing such tiny babies! Even my granddaughter, who was born to a petite mommy, was over 9 lbs. Ella looks like a little doll in every way--even when crying. I love that path you walk. More pictures of that walk, please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The baby is beautiful. The picture of your hike looks dreamy. I need to find some fun places to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The baby is beautiful. The picture of your hike looks dreamy. I need to find some fun places to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your socks came out so well, Kristie. I love the colors. I'm so glad to hear that Rebekah and Ella are both doing well. I really like that photo of you with Ella, she looks very feisty there. You look lovely, very happy to have another granddaughter to love. I hope you're having a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have sock envy, they are beautiful. Stunning photo of you and Ella, you look so proud, she is a gorgeous baby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Kristie,
    I'm a big fan of Fred and George, so those socks made me smile. I think that's a great picture of you and Ella; she looks like a girl that knows her own mind already! It must be lovely to have another baby in the family.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how the colour change makes the pattern change so much on the socks. Cool!
    We too have noticed the much cooler nights, complete with fairly heavy dew in the mornings. In fact they have lifted the fire ban for our end of the island (not south though).
    As to Ella, oh my goodness how tiny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. she is a beautiful baby and I'm so glad you were able to visit and spend time with her!!! how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The socks make me think of Hogwarts in the snow...very holiday-ish!

    I'm glad Rebekah is feeling better. Wow, Ella is tiny. But that's good. Maybe she'll be able to make use of newborn sized clothes a little longer. For some babies the newborn clothes are almost a waste of money. I like the walking poles. They look like good defensive instruments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, now that I've conquered a colorwork sweater, I need to move on and conquer colorwork socks! I like these a lot with the swapping of the colors...hmmmm....

    You look like such a proud grandma!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh so more beautiful pictures of Ella and you! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had the exact same experience with cubic needles. Clearly they don't work for everyone.

    My eldest was a similar birthweight to Ella, 5lb 12oz ... hard to remember now how small he was, until I look at the photos of him. He was a little bit prem and looked like a skinned rabbit bless him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've yet to challenge myself with multi coloured socks, yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, Ella is adorable! Cute socks...I have been thinking about re-reading the HP series....or maybe audiobook?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such lovely photos of Ella and the socks are great.

    ReplyDelete