Monday, August 10, 2015

Two Winners and a Loser

Thank you everyone for your kind comments about wee baby Ella. She is doing well, and so are Rebekah and Anton. They have had lots of visitors - friends, aunts, an uncle and Jay have all dropped by to meet her. Here she is, getting to know her granddad.



I finished my first ever Baby Sweater on Two Needles a couple weeks ago, but in the midst of all the excitement of Ella's early arrival, I am only just now getting around to showing it to you. I love the old-fashioned look of this sweater. I will definitely knit this pattern again. Ravelry details can be found here.



Surprisingly, my other winner in the crafting department is a sewing project rather than a knitting one. On a quiet day last week I sat down at my machine and whipped out this pillowcase from a kit I had purchased from The Loopy Ewe. It's not often I have a victory in the sewing category.




And it's not often I end up a loser with my knitting, but I have to say when I do it tends to be on a grand scale. At the beginning of the summer I started knitting a shell out of a new yarn called Lyonesse from Blacker Yarns in the UK. This yarn is a blend of wool and linen, and is both gorgeous to look at and a dream to knit with. I was aiming for a loose fitting sweater that I could throw on on cool summer evenings.

What I ended up with was something that resembled a gunny sack with armholes, sort of like what people wore during the Great Depression. So this lump of yarn is going to be frogged and knit into something else. I have a pattern in mind, but probably won't knit it until next spring. Realistically I don't have time to finish it for this summer, so have lost my momentum for now.




I think the whole sack look must be trending right now in the fashion world. A couple weeks ago Rebekah and I popped into a Roots store near where she lives and I pulled a shirt/sack/hastily sewn together blob of material off the rack that was the identical shape of the sweater I had just decided to rip out. Trending or not, this sweater is a loser.

23 comments:

  1. Nice pix of Jay and baby Ella, take lots more pix as she will grow so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame about the sweater but no good if you are not going to wear it may as well use the yarn for something else. A beautiful picture of baby Ella and her Grandad, he looks so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous picture of Ella and her grandad. Well done on your finishes, and a shame about the sack. But at least you have that lovely yarn to use again. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful photo of proud grandad and Ella. I have a feeling the jumper I am knitting is going to turn out like your 'gunny sack'. I haven't the heart to rip it out, i'll just have to wear it indoors where no one can see it, at least it will be warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that photo of Jay and Ella. She looks like a very alert baby. The sweater for her is beautiful. I understand sack-like clothes. I had a sweater until recently that I just gave up trying to wear. It kept stretching sideways and got wider and wider until it looked like I was wearing a trash bag. Seriously, it was hideous. I'm sure you'll make something really wonderful with that yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found you whilst blog hopping:) Congratulations on your 2nd granddaughter, your knits for her are all gorgeous :) Shame about the sack, but I love the yarn !
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful young ella has grown and granddad is holding her so lovingly...the knitted sweater is just lovely and ella will look well in it...hope your next project with the blue yarn is more to your satisfaction...take care...sally

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely Grandad/granddaughter photo, Kristie. Ella is a little treasure, and will look gorgeous in her pink sweater, especially knit for her. Yes, I have seen the sack type fashions, but don't think they are for me either. I am sure you will make something great from the blue yarn, next time. The pillowcase is so pretty - is it for Lucy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely picture of granddad and granddaughter!! I love the little sweater, she will get lots of wear out of it this fall. Such a nice classic pattern and the wool you chose us lovely.I feel your pain with your sweater, it's so disappointing and irksome. Finding a good sweater pattern is sure hard. I love your pillowcase, the fabrics are great! You have sure been busy knitting, sewing and berry picking. Sounds like we might get some rain by the weekend, let's keep our fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colour of your 'sack' yarn is gorgeous. Good luck with the re-knit. The little cardi you made for Ella is lovely - she's going to be a well-dressed baby. And well done with your sewing. That pillowcase looks v professional!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the colour of the Blacker Yarn, what a shame it didn't come out right. But the little cardigan is delightfully old fashioned. I never really got to grips with knitting and have had more losers than winners. What a lovely photos of baby Ella and her Grandad. I hope she's doing well. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ella is so gorgeous. That little sweater is very cute and beautifully knit. I know whet it's like to end up with a knitted 'sack'. I still haven't ripped out the coat I knit but I definitely will and then knit something else that actually fits. Just because something is in fashion doesn't mean it is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the baby sweater, it's a wonderful pattern and the color is so happy. She is such a cute little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the baby sweater, it's a wonderful pattern and the color is so happy. She is such a cute little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where does Ella live? Will you get to see her often? Love the sweater and pillow case. As for the one you tore out, I would have liked to have seen it. I don't think I've seen a "gunny sack" sweater before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know what you're going through with that sweater! I've just had to give up on one because the fit was so wrong. I'm very glad that things are turning out better with the baby knitting and the baby tho!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A new addition to the family! Congratulations! She looks like she fits right in there with her Grandpa!
    Don't you just hate it when you miss big time with a knit....knitting takes so much time. Lately I've been trying on, and photographing myself in, various sweater shapes to get an idea of what suits....and better yet, what doesn't. Nope, this trending sack look doesn't suit me either....who the heck does it suit! Enjoy all the good things, forget the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cheerful looking pillowcase, I really like the colours. A lovely picture of Ella with her grandad she's going to be so cosy in her little jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how long that sweater is worn! The loose cuffs make longer arms no problem. A perfect little sweater in my experience!

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous sweater and YAY for the completion :) Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry to hear of your sweater fail...those hurt! But at least you are wise enough to know you need to rip and do something else with the yarn rather than having a sweater you'll never wear. Sometimes I'm not so smart...

    I LOVE making pillowcases (I say that like I do it all the time which I don't)...they are easy enough for me to make and they are such a great gift when you can personalize the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That such a lovely picture of Jay and Ella and that cardigan you have knitted for her is gorgeous and a wonderful colour too. Your other sweater will look like anything I have ever tried making! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the picture of Jay with Ella and also your gorgeous baby sweater. It reminds me of the kind I knitted when my children were babies, many years ago. I think it's a wise decision to use that beautiful blue yearn another way. Sacks aren't a look that grabs me. :-)

    ReplyDelete