Monday, August 24, 2015

Weekend Review

The past weekend seemed to fly by at breakneck speed. In fact, at one point I was afraid someone might literally end up breaking their neck, but I'll get to that part in a minute.

Saturday was such a special day. It was the day that two cousins met for the first time.


I think these two are going to be very good friends, and possibly get into trouble together on more than one occasion when they get older. Actually, there might be three of us getting into trouble.


Saturday was a gorgeous day in Vancouver. We went for a walk down to Jericho Beach. You can see by the state of the grass that Vancouver is in the midst of a drought. Watering restrictions have been in place for awhile now.


Saturday was all about family. Sunday was about weeding and hiking. Do you ever have a job you dread doing, so you keep putting it off until you absolutely have to do it? For me one of those dreaded jobs is weeding. For over two weeks I've been looking around our yard thinking that I really need to tackle the weeds, but successfully avoiding acting on that thought. Then yesterday I realized that I am going to be gone for most of the next week, and if I didn't do it then it was going to be a massive job by the time I returned. Three hours and multiple wheelbarrow loads of weeds hauled to the compost later I was finished.

Then yesterday afternoon some of us in the small outdoor club here at The Cottages hiked to Lindeman Lake. We debated whether or not to cancel due to all the smoke that had moved in from the horrible forest fires burning down in Washington State, but in the end decided to go anyway. (The two problems with hiking in all that smoke are that it is unhealthy, and that it obscures the view.)

The problem with the hike ended up having nothing to do with the smoke. It had to do with the fact that the hike is challenging in several spots, and one of the outdoor club members is 76 years old. From hearing him talk about previous hikes he had done I thought the hike in to Lindeman Lake wouldn't be a problem for him. I was wrong. I felt horribly guilty and responsible since I was the one that had suggested it, and had rated it as no more difficult than Teapot Hill. In a way it isn't, but there are more rocks and tree roots you have to climb over, and a couple of steep sections where it's easy to lose your footing. As I stood watching him make his way down the worst of those steep bits I felt sick to my stomach. I was so worried he was going to fall and get badly injured. Thankfully that didn't happen, but it still makes me feel a little queasy when I think about it.

I don't have a single picture from yesterday's hike to share with you. Sorry about that. The smoke was so bad there was no point in even taking a camera. But I do have lots of pictures from Saturday, so here's one of Ella instead.


Have a great week!

26 comments:

  1. The pix of Ella and Lucy are absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely photographs of the little cousins! Our grass is the greenest green - we have had so much rain, which does make pulling weeds an easier job,

    ReplyDelete
  3. What adorable grandchildren you have. The first photo is gorgeous. I'm glad your hiking friend was ok. It has been absolutely tipping with rain here today - no gardening of any sort going on! Hope those wildfires extinguish soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos of two cousins together. I'm glad you got back from the hike safely. Well done on the weeding, it's something I hate doing as well, but there are ALWAYS weeds to be pulled, always. Wishing you a good week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had such similar weekends. On Sunday morning I also pulled three wheelbarrows of weeds from my allotment. (We're going on holiday on Friday and it was then or never!). In the afternoon we walked up into our local hills. And on Saturday we visited our daughter and her boyfriend in their new little house in Canterbury and we all went to the beach together on the North Kent coast. Wonderful photos of your lovely grandchildren. I visited Vancouver on business in December 1988, it was a magical city which I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to ask who the ringleader would be in the trouble department, but then you mentioned it might be three and the question sort of answered itself. :)
    The grass looks like mine will in early-November here. Wow! I'm so glad your neighbor didn't fall. I'll have to remember this when I'm that age and talking about what I can do--and what I might not want someone to invite me to do. It wouldn't have been your fault, but I understand the feeling. And I understand about the weeds. Weeding the vegetable garden with a hoe, weeding flower beds and the grass on bent knee...I don't know which I "prefer". Probably the vegetable garden, because of what comes from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delight to see the cousins together, beautiful. I have just weeded my garden, after a few weeks break from it. Definitely hard work and a lesson learnt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kristie,
    Gorgeous pic of the two cousins together. It sounds as if you are going to enjoy getting up to mischief with them ;)) weeding is very tiresome. I have been away for a few days, and hadn't weeded prior. I do enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done though, so like the finished result.
    Have a great week.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree about the weeding, I had to knuckle down yesterday as the weeds were threatening to take over the asparagus patch. Very sweet photos of the new cousins together x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 3 older grandchild were so excited when Alfred was born, their first cousin. Like you, I think the four of them are going to grow up being great play mates and friends. Your photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two beautiful cousins! I can understand you being worried about the 76 year old man falling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally adorable photos, Kristie. The picture of the two little girls meeting melts my heart :) You must be bursting with pride these days! The forest fires sound bad - I hope they stay well away from people and houses, and that your neighbour continues to enjoy hiking - but with care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh those are such wonderful pictures especially the first two! I'm sure they will be such friends and have fun doing things together. I'm glad the walk went ok despite your concerns. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your granddaughters will be such fun together with you. As for the weeding, you don't want to know how many DAYS I just spent weeding all my gardens. I let it go for much too long and am paying for it now. I'm having my Tasha Tudor birthday celebration outside on Friday and I wasn't about to let everyone see just how bad my gardens can look when neglected!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I'm so happy to see the girls together! What a wonderful moment. I am sure they will be good friends. I can't wait to hear about the trouble you get into with them. :) I'm glad to hear your hiking buddy was okay, that sounds a little scary. I think that's what you would feel like if you went hiking with me. I'm not all that old but I am extremely klutzy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cousins are such beauties and f course they are smart and can be anything they want to be when they grow up. I tell all my little girl patients that, you are smart first and then cute! Who woud want to weed? Not me!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful pictures of Ella! You area ll going to have such great fun together I just know!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. we are dry here but not as dry as you are and I'm sorry about all that smoke, what a bummer. Loved that the two girls met and I agree they will be best buddies :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love the pictures of Ella and Lucy, together and by themselves. They are going to have a lot of fun together before very long. I've been reading about the dreadful forest fires. The weather really is weird this year on both sides of the Atlantic, with so little rain in some places and far too much in others. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the pictures of your two granddaughters... they are precious. I know you are enjoying them! Vancouver looks amazing! We are headed to the PNW for our first visit this week - Portland, OR to be exact. I'm very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute, I'm sure they will be firm friends. Jess and Laurie are a demon pair already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those grandgirls of yours are just so sweet together!

    Are they both wearing grandmother knits in that fabulous photograph?

    ReplyDelete
  23. What adorable cousins! And ditto to Annie's question. :)

    Isn't it funny how weeds flourish whether there's a drought on or not? The only good thing about putting off the weeding is that you get such a spectacular result when you finally do get down to it.

    So glad the hike ended safely for all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a special moment when they meet for the first time. Gorgeous photos, something to treasure x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Speaking for myself - there are a lot of things I could do without a bother at age 73 when we moved to Seattle - now I find out that age 78 is very different.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your granddaughters are beautiful! Precious pictures!

    ReplyDelete