Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Irish Adventure Begins

I'm happy to say that after an incredibly long flight I have arrived in Ireland. I used my Visa air miles for the flight, and the fees attached to my "free" flight varied greatly amongst the different airlines. Air Canada and British Airways both charged over $400, while West Jet came in under $200, so there was no contest. There were a couple of things about the West Jet flight that made it not quite as appealing though. 
One of them I knew about before I got on the plane, and that was the fact I had two stopovers instead of flying directly to Dublin. The other one turned out to be a nasty surprise. I had assumed that because it was a long haul flight that I would be served a meal. Wrong. The last stop was in St. John's, Newfoundland, and I guess that made the leg across the Atlantic short enough they weren't required to feed us. All that was on offer were some overpriced sandwiches and skimpy cheese trays. I was starved by the time we landed.
My English friends John and Gill picked me up, and after a much appreciated breakfast we started out on our Great Irish Adventure. The first stop was at Powerscourt, where we toured some beautiful gardens. 
My favourite part wasn't the actual garden though. It was the pet cemetery. I thought it was so sweet that this Shetland pony couple were buried together.
Then we drove over the Wicklow mountain pass, which was a huge surprise. When I think of Ireland I picture green fields. But the scenery as we wound our way over the narrow road turned out to be very much like what Kath and encountered several years ago when we were walking in Scotland. I can never get enough of looking at the high hills filled with heather and gorse!
Of course there were sheep sprinkled everywhere over the hills, and even a few on the road.
By the time we arrived at the B&B I was exhausted. I was every bit as happy to crawl into bed as I had been earlier in the day to eat breakfast. More of the adventure to follow!
Travel Tip #1: When in Ireland it's probably a very good idea not to ask for the Full English Breakfast. Just saying...


26 comments:

  1. Oh dear, did they serve you Black Pudding? I admire your stamina. I once flew non-stop from London to Vancouver, an 11-hour flight. When I arrived I went out to explore but I was so tired I was literally falling asleep on my feet so I foolishly went to bed only to wake ravenous in the early hours. Hope your body clock is adjusting and the weather stays fine for your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting news, Kristie, you are There!! And it is very pretty - sweet flowers and sheep already. I'm sure you were absolutely starving after not being fed on your long flight - how mean of them :( You must tell me the story behind the Irish breakfasts - don't want to be caught out when we go.. Enjoy it All!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coming along on your adventures once you get to your destination....getting there, not so much. I hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just amazing Kristie. I would have gone straight to bed and would have slept for 10 hours, if not more. I am glad you arrived safely and look forward to reading all about Ireland. I think I went in 1994, which is a life time ago. Enjoy your adventure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited to read about your adventures. My Irish trip was in 2008. Your pictures are bringing back lots of happy memories. Wishing you much fun and good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited to read about your adventures. My Irish trip was in 2008. Your pictures are bringing back lots of happy memories. Wishing you much fun and good times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, the Full Irish is a bit different (not that I've been to Ireland but I know that much!). The heather and gorse is lovely this time of year. You timed your trip well. I hope you enjoy your visit to this side of the Atlantic and look forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah Ireland! I so want to visit you. I sould love to stroll down a lane where sheep are strolling too. Have a wonderful time.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to more of your adventure and more pictures. I will enjoy this as I have always thought it would be so wonderful to visit Ireland. Thank you for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are going to love the huge variety of scenery. I hope you manage to visit Killarney, the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher and Giants Causeway. The beaches are also beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, I read your tip as Irish people dont like being confused with English, while most of your commenters are assuming it is to do with what is included in an Irish breakfast. I am Scottish and have lived for 11 years in Ireland. I know you will love it. Enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have lots of food allergies, so I am used to bringing my food. Each trip to Europe has been disappointing for getting a meal or if they serve, then one I can even eat.
    My recent trip to Japan was exact opposite. We had two meals, one of which I could eat (gluten free).
    9 hr direct which was less time than to Europe.
    I want to back to Ireland - maybe in a couple of years.
    Have fun on your trip. They have fabric stores all over - some only online. If you call ahead, they will open just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, a full English breakfast isn't a great thing if you want some get-up-and-go! You've seen some beautiful places already. I hope you have a lovely time. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apart from the lack of food on the flight it sounds as though you are having a wonderful time!!! So very glad for you!!! I think that Irish Breakfasts are even bigger than English! Perhaps they were trying to make up for the lack of food on the flight! Hope you keep enjoying!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha! Yes its better to avoid referencing anything "English" at all when in the Republic!!! (Just wait for the reaction when you say you're from "British Columbia"!)
    I unfortunately came down with a bad flu for the day we were meant to explore a little of Wicklow back in 2008, so I'm looking forward to your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so beautiful! I'm imagining you there and all the fun you're having. Looking forward to more photos! And I think a photo of a Full Irish breakfast accompanied by a vivid description is required!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy all that the beautiful island has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is only the beginning and already you are having an amazing adventure. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor you having to go all that time without a meal! But you arrived safe and sound, and it looks as though you're exploring some lovely places. Have a fabulous trip (breakfasts and all)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't forget to try the white pudding with your "Irish breakfast" and the wheaten bread, so good. Have a fun time

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a wonderful opportunity. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Your photos are beautiful and it sounds like you're already having fun. Enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, so happy to be able to "come along" for another of your European adventures! Have a wonderful, safe time! <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is sooooo cool that we can all come along on your adventures..... PS. Do include pics of any of your yarn purchases OR of any of your "interesting" meals. Have fun Kristie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hear lots of bad things about British Airways--mostly having to do with their fees and reluctance to ever issue a refund. But that part of the trip is over and the fun has started!

    I thought pet cemeteries were a more recent development.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How wonderfully awesome!!! Happy travels to you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry I have been missing your adventure Iv'e some catching up to do! You must have been so hungry when you arrived! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete