Sunday, September 27, 2015

Unexpected

It's our last day in Ireland, and if there is one word I would pick to describe our time here it would be unexpected. Every time we turn around it seems like Ireland surprises us. The changing terrain, the amazing food, the variety of activities on offer, the weather - we're never quite sure what's going to greet us as we go around each bend in the road.
Right after our walk we went to Dingle. It was love at first sight! Dingle is a quaint town located on the Dingle Peninsula in County Kerry. 
We drove around the Peninsula, and it was spectacular. 
Our next destination was Inishmore, the northern most of the three Aran Islands. There are rock walls everywhere, and the soil inside them was formed by composting seaweed and sand. It might make these some of the most labour intensive plots of land ever.
You go to Inishmore as a foot passenger, so our tour of the island was done the old-fashioned way.
I have never seen so many sweaters in my life as I did on this small Aran Island. The wool fumes were incredible!
Our next destination was Galway. We visited the famous Cliffs of Moher. After our harrowing time on the Pembrokeshire Coastal path in Wales two years ago we were all very relieved to see that there was a safety barrier at these cliffs.
 
We encountered midges. I don't recommend this as a positive travel experience.
This is Kylemore Abbey, located near Connemara National Park.

Connemara is so different than the area where we did our walk. It reminded us of Montana. Never would I have guessed there would be a place in Ireland that would look like the big skies of that state!
There are a few other pictures I want to share from my journey through Ireland, but they will have to wait until I get home. It's time for us to eat breakfast and head to Dublin, the last stop in our Irish adventure. 
 

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are having such a wonderful time! Ireland is so special and your pictures capture so many different parts of it. I didn't realise they suffered with midges too! Have a great time in Dublin the Guiness factory and prison are worth visiting if you have time. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dublin = This is Knit, in Powerscourt Townhouse. I read their blog and walked into the shop a few years ago; it was like a dream. and the Powerscourt Townhouse has good food. But, every bit of Dublin is wonderful and great food, and beautiful river and bridges and just everything. Have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful trip (except for the midges).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm delighted you saw the Cliffs, Connemara and Galway. I have strong family connections in those places. I once has a lovely holiday in Dingle, such happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to hear you are having such a great trip, the Knits look amazing a true feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More gorgeous photographs, I'm so glad you've had such a wonderful time. Wishing you a safe trip home. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks wonderful Kristie. What a great time you have had. I love the romantic sounding names of Ireland, like Connemara and Inishmore, so evocative. The knits look gorgeous, and now I want to add that island to our Irish sojourn. I hope you have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your trip just looks so fantastic, Ireland is such a gorgeous, gorgeous place. Thank you so much for taking us with you, it allows us to see so much of a beautiful place we may never visit.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures. Sorry you had a not-so-nice encounter with the midges! We've been to most of the places you've talked apart so know how wonderful it all is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The horse-drawn cart was the perfect way to tour the island! Must have been a welcomed change after walking all those miles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every post you put up makes it look more and more amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your trip has really looked wonderful. I'm so glad you had the chance to visit there. I really hope to go there someday. You may be home by now; I hope you had a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favourites parts of Ireland, lucky you

    ReplyDelete
  14. The scenery reminds me of the Quiet Man. My wife has watched that movie a dozen times. I'm fond of the movie too, but my favorite Irish film is Darby O'Gill and the Little People--leprechauns, gold and a banshee! Pretty silly, but fun....and a young Sean Connery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been lovely to see your journey through Ireland and your atmospheric photos. I hope you had a safe journey home. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for taking the time to share so much of this trip with us, Kristie. I really hope I get the chance to visit Ireland one day too -- it looks absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've just been reading this page on the BBC website and thought it might interest you.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34345791
    I've really enjoyed your posts about your Ireland trip.

    ReplyDelete