Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Fast Forward

My apologies for such a long absence. It seems like someone hit the fast forward button on my life in October. It zoomed by in a flurry of family and road trips, with a bit of crafting and hiking squeezed in when time would allow.

On October 25th my mom flew from Spokane to Bellingham, Washington. Bellingham is just over an hour from our house, not counting the wait at the border, which, sadly, can sometimes be as long as the drive itself. I drove down a little ahead of her flight so I could stop at Trader Joe's. It's the only store I have ever been in that makes grocery shopping a fun experience. While I was there I wandered over to the beer aisle to pick something out for Jay. I'm not a beer drinker myself, so have to base my purchasing decisions on factors other than knowledge about the actual product. Which is how he ended up with this, a six-pack with a knitting theme.




Monday we drove into Vancouver, where my mom got to meet her new great granddaughter. I think they look quite pleased with each other, don't you?




In the latest development since I last saw her, Ella has turned into dedicated thumb sucker.




Thursday we headed over to Victoria so my mom could spend some time with Lucy. I think we were both humbled when were there. I can not for the life of me figure out how to undo the gates they have to keep Lucy out of trouble. Lucy has no problem whatsoever opening them. And my mom, who has owned an iPad for two years but has yet to figure it out, sat and watched Lucy play games and switch between apps.




Just in case you're wondering, in spite of what Lucy is wearing in this picture it wasn't an unseasonably warm day. My mom brought her this new outfit thinking it would be perfect for next summer. Lucy tried it on and refused to take it off again.

Friday was a very long day. We left Victoria at 7:45 Am and didn't get to Spokane until 8:45 PM. The main interstate highway across Washington was closed in central Washington due to a dust storm, which slowed us up considerably. I managed to take this picture as we drove along rural side roads, trying to find our way past the closure. It's very unique countryside. Interesting to look at, but I don't think I would want to live there.




This was my first trip to Spokane since my brother moved there, and it was nice to see his new home and do a bit of exploring on the trails that are right out his back door.




Now I am back home, and I have to confess I'm quite happy to be here. After being away for much of September and October I'm ready to settle in until next spring. Am I the only one who gets the urge to hibernate at this time of the year?




Have a great week!

20 comments:

  1. Hey Kristie,
    Me! I get the hunkering down urge at this time of year. I enjoy closing the blinds and the early nights. I enjoy the slower pace of life. I enjoy the nights drawing in, and knowing where everyone is. And when I've just about had enough, it's Spring!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne just about said what I was thinking about hibernating! You certainly had a busy few weeks Kristie, no wonder you are pleased to be at home. I am glad you had a lovely time with family. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that tree! I think you spoke of Hygge a while back. I too am very into that at the moment here in Scotland. Those children - so beautiful, so happy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have been lovely to share some special family moments together despite all the travelling. The pictures of your Mum and great grandchildren are delightful. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little girls are growing fast, what beauties they are. Also love your tree, and yes I would love to hibernate, just snuggle up and knit....bliss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I totally get the urge to hibernate. I'm all about hunkering down for winter. If I had my way, I'd never leave. :) I'm so glad you and your mom were able to spend time with the little ones. It must have been so nice for your mom to meet the baby for the first time. Both girls are getting really big. I love your tree, the color is gorgeous. I hope you're having a good week, Kristie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy and Ella have grown so much since we've last seen them, and both adorable. Our daughter-in-law who had the miscarriage last December has just told us they are due next April! But we're not to tell anyone yet (so mum's the word). They're waiting until the 20th week sonogram to tell the rest of the family. After looking at a map I can see why you're ready to stay home for a while! Did Jay like the beer? Cute how you chose it, but I'm not at all surprised. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh at the bit about undoing the gates. I learned at a young age how to free myself from my baby cot. It was just a matter of watching my parents. Hopefully these days the catches are a bit more child proof.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely get the urge to hibernate from now to about March. It's cosy time!
    Children are just so clever, I often wonder "how did they manage to do that!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hibernating is the best part about this time of year! With warm blankets and jumpers and tasty food. Oh and lots of knitting and crochet. My dad, who's 87, has an iPad and manages to work with it very well. Sometimes he gets into a bit of a tizzy but it's usually because he's done something silly with the settings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ella and Lucy are the cutest little girls, and what lovely photos with their Great-Grandmother. I'm sure your mother was delighted to see them Kristie. You have had a busy time, and doing a lot of driving. Great to see family, but also time to snuggle in for the winter. Your red tree is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful family you have! Sounds like October was a great month for you.
    I was interested in the bits about Spokane. My husband and I have thought about retiring there in a few years. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spokane is a very nice small city. The housing is affordable, and there are nearby lakes, ski hills, and hiking trails. I think it would be a great place to retire to!

      Delete
  13. I love the photos of your mum with her great grandchildren, it is wonderful to capture such special moments. I would have picked that beer as well, I have been know to pick them because I liked the label.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a month! Hectic and worthwhile. For some reason October zoomed by here too. I feel like this autumn is slipping through my fingers. I'm surprised a dust storm was that bad in Washington--but I have to admit I know next to nothing about the state. I'm glad you were able to work your way around it. Was the Winter Hook a hit? I wouldn't be any help making a selection. When I have my one or two beers every few years, I still go with the brand my grandparents liked. That sounds crazier every time I say it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS - How is Ella is getting cuter every week??? Of course Lucy is cute too, just not changing as quickly at this age.

    ReplyDelete
  16. your mom is cute! I hate the border crossing waiting with a passion. However when we crossed this year into Ontario it was surprisingly "fast". I don't want to jinx it. Love your grands and that you traveled all over for family--that is what it is about!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Knitting beer, huh, what will they think of next.
    The countryside to Spokane is so prairie-like, I remember that surprised me this summer on our trip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All I can say is that if the world had more pictures of sleeping babies then we could hope for peace. Also that gorgeous tree. Fall trees and sleeping babies can cure anything!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hibernating is my favorite thing to do at this time of year. You do live in a beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete