Monday, December 21, 2015

Almost There!

In a few days the Big Day will be upon us. I would like to tell you that I have everything under control, that my larder is stocked, and the presents are wrapped and under the tree. The reality is that if my guests walked into this cottage right now I think they would call the public health department and have us condemned. Well, at least my mom would. The presents are wrapped, but there is no way we can put them under the tree. The cat would eat all the ribbon off, and the dogs would take care of what remained.

As far as the food is concerned, I am only halfway there. Tomorrow should finish the job, although I am more than a little concerned about where all the food is actually going to go since my fridge is already stuffed. The good news is that I have a wonderful neighbour who has agreed to let me put some of the overflow in her fridge. It all balances out, as another neighbour has her turkey in our freezer.

I will return in the New Year, but before I sign off I want to leave you with some Christmas shopping advice. If you find yourself at the grocery store with a cart piled high with food, it really isn't a good idea to plop a huge container (think Costco size!) of grape tomatoes on top of that stack of food. It's an even worse idea to reach over the top of that pile of food to grab the specialty cheese you have your eye on. If you do happen to have such a lapse, my next piece of advice is to stand still. Do not move. Failure to follow this advice will lead to the strange sensation of dozens of tomatoes popping under your shoes. At this point I have no other advice to offer, other than to maybe take a second, more competent adult shopping with you.


This Christmas picture of me was taken in 1959 (Call the Midwife era), which puts me right between the ages of Lucy and Ella.


And here I am with my brother, in what I'm guessing must have been 1965. I'm very happy that he'll be spending Christmas with our family this year, along with his daughter Danielle and my mom.

I hope that wherever you find yourself over the holidays that you have a wonderful time, and I'll touch in again in the New Year. Merry Christmas!




22 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, and thanks for the good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here with waiting to put the presents under the tree at the last minute! Last year Gabriel chewed up a gift card. Why he was attracted to that particular gift, I have no idea. Despite your shopping mishap, it sounds like you have Christmas well in hand---even though you don't feel like it. Don't forget to breeze and let go of perfectionism (I'm talking to myself now.) Have a very Merry Christmas and a year full of love, peace, and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time with all your family. It will be managed chaos but fun!! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have everything organized despite your little mishap shopping, which made me smile! Have wonderful Christmas and wishing you everything you wish for yourself for the New Year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sage advice, and something for me to take seriously - you have no idea how clumsy I can be! You do sound really organised - no way have I any room for the neighbour's turkey; we are stretched to capacity round here, and the son and the grandson arrive tonight. Goody! Star Wars movie tomorrow :)
    Wishing you the very best Christmas ever, a wonderful time with your beautiful family, and thank you for your precious friendship - it was such a joy to meet you 'in reality' this year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. All good wishes for a very happy Christmas Kristie. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your excellent advice, that's exactly the sort of thing that would happen to me. I imagine you were finding tomato pips stuck to your shoes for ages afterwards. It sounds as though you're nearly ready for the big day. I hope you have a wonderful time. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful photos. Sometimes I look at some old photos and it somehow makes me feeling really happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos of Christmas past. Thanks for the shopping advice, I have now decided that all shopping is Richard's chore. I'll clean the tomatoes of his shoes. Have a wonderful Christmas with your loved ones. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My shopping is done, presents wrapped, just the baking/cooking now. One morning left at work then I'm free until 4 Jan. Happy Christmas to you all, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I have followed your advice with the grocery shopping my husband has done most of it today while I have been at work! He is definitely more competent than me! Not surprisingly our presents aren't under the tree only empty glossy bags. There was a paper one there too but it was eaten and most of the cards that have come through the door have tooth marks on them. You can guess the culprit! Have a wonderful Christmas with your family. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a wonderful Christmas and a happy and healthy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas Kristie! Love the post - am still giggling. Can't help it but your pics take me back in the past to a time of innocence and "lots of energy" - a little tear in my eye - as I feel not so innocent and "pooped"!!! ♡ Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very merry Christmas to you and your family! have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you didn't try to pay for the tomatoes--and that the dogs and cat get to have a little fun this week. Maybe they can help unwrap? I think we have all the groceries we need, but I'm only half wrapped. :)

    Merry Christmas to you and your family Kristie! It's not surprising that you were a very cute kid!


    PS - I'm closing my blog in January. It's time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved seeing these photos of little Kristie! What a pretty girl. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas. Enjoy those little ones and your brother and niece.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the photos of you and your brother, classic and so much fun.

    Merry Christmas to you and your entire family!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your family, Kristie, and I send you my very best wishes for 2016. I promise to try to be better at blogging and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year - here's to family, good health and fine friends. I really like reading your blog; full of inspiration to create, to love people and especially to walk and enjoy the outside of things. BTW, when I was kid there was lots of tinsel on everyone's trees - it took time but was so magical.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Here's hoping everything went to plan this year and you didn't suffer any broken appliances this time, or worse. Happy New Year to you and yours my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year!
    http://bythecanonviewfinder.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete