Sunday, January 10, 2016

A Taste of Winter

Winter in the southwest corner of British Columbia can be challenging. Not because we suffer through months of snow and cold and ice. No, the challenge here is, sadly, we often seem to miss out on these things. There's something so fresh and beautiful about newly fallen snow. I love the way it coats the trees and covers the ground. I like the quiet that blankets the outdoors after it's fallen. And, of course, being a knitter I enjoy getting a chance to wear the toques and mittens and scarves that spend most of the year tucked away in a chest.

So when the snow started falling over the holidays I was almost as excited as Lucy was when she was outside giggling as the white stuff was coming down around her. It is slowly warming up again now, but we had a good two week stretch of winter conditions, which is two weeks more than we got last year.




The water temperature is warmer than the air, causing a mist to rise up from the lake's surface.




Ice has built up on logs near the shore.




Hoar frost has coated plants and branches.




It's also coated these bird feathers on the beach.




I've been having fun using the snow as a backdrop for pictures of my knitting. I just finished this Milo vest for Ella. Heart cables seemed a good match for the colour of the yarn. Ravelry details here.




But there are reminders that we do live in a place that sees spring much sooner than the rest of Canada. These have just made an appearance in our yard.

Thank you for all your lovely comments on my last post. There were a couple questions I wanted to answer. Leanne asked if we ate all the food I bought to feed everyone over Christmas. Yes, we ate our way through almost all of it! There was one pound of bacon and two of the ten dozen eggs left, along with a bit of salad and the two ham bones. If they had stayed another day we would have been in trouble.

Janet asked if I could explain Teapot Hill. For those of you who are new to my blog and are wondering about this oddly named place, you can read about it in this previous post. To be honest, sometimes I worry that you are going to get Teapot fatigue. I tend to write a lot about it, and post a fair number of pictures from there as well. But it's a big part of my life. I hike it at least once a week during the winter, and several times a week the rest of the year. It's one of the things I love the most about where I live. The funny thing is, after writing a post about how much I love the winter, the one downside to the cold and icy weather is that I haven't been able to get up Teapot since the hike with my brother and niece. It's treacherous right now. A friend and I attempted it on New Year's day and turned back. The path was a sheet of ice. Which means there's a bright side to the melting snow and warmer days. I'll soon be back to hiking Teapot.

27 comments:

  1. We haven't had any frosts here in the south of the UK yet. Love that purple yarn and the hearts are delightful :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weather has been remarkably mild, although I keep hearing rumours about snow next week, but even if we get snow and ice it doesn't last more than 2 weeks or so here either. Hope that you can get up teapot hill again soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I will never forget the deep snow you had where you lived previously the mist, ice and hoar frost look so beautiful in your pictures.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures of winter! The Coast has such magnificent scenery . I love the patterns that ice makes. I can't believe you are still standing after all that company! Ten dozen eggs!! The new vest is adorable. Vests are great for active busy toddlers/ keeps them warm without being bulky. Soon the Pineapple Express will roar in and you will be walking the hill again. I love your teapot pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are really lovely today. Beautiful, thanks! We havent had any snow in our part of the Netherlands yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had our first frost yesterday morning, apparently we have had record temperatures for December been the warmest for years. Love the vest, the heart detail is stunning and I love the colour of the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daffodils are coming up here in Maryland--I've not seen this happen in January in the 47 years I've lived here. No snow, but lots of rain here and foggy because of the difference in temperature on the ground vs. the air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos, we would be excited too. Not a sniff of snow here though. We live in hope. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for answering about Teapot Hill, can't believe anyone would want to get rid of the teapots, they're wonderful. As to the cougar, oh my, that's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are gorgeous, Winter is a beautiful season, not here of course it is just cooler here but not cold.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ella is accumulating quite a wardrobe! The vest is really nice. I enjoy snow too, as long as no one in the family needs to be at the hospital--not sure why that has happened so often. (Really only 3 times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful pics. Love the greenery popping through for the
    beginning of spring time. Our temps couldn't be more different....we
    have 39C here today. It's our bushfire season. Thanks for sharing your
    lovely pics.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So so gorgeous pics !!! No snow here (France) but lot of rain again and again !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that photo of the mist on the lake. We don't often get snow here but when we do the village sometimes gets cut off because of drifts. The children get ridiculously excited if there's any prospect of big snow because they might not be able to get to school! I'm glad you got to wear all your winter woolies :-) Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Snow.....blowing horizontally yesterday. Woke up this morning to a thin coating of snow....the rest must have kept on blowing. :)

    Love your winter pics, but I too would miss the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photos are beautiful Kristie! I envy you for the cold and crisp weather. We've had two days since October when the car needed scraping. Two. It is miserable and I have taken to wearing my wellie boots to work. Teapot hill is never boring. There are a lot of routines in our lives and walking up teapot hill sounds like a pretty perfect routine to me. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the milo vest and enjoy always new pictures from teapot hill. take care on icy roads and paths. Jaana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pictures are gorgeous, and this year I promise to make it to teapot hill!
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Kristie,
    Phew! I'm glad all that manic food shopping wasn't in vain ;)
    I have been mesmerised by your snow and frost photos. We rarely see snow here, and never hoar frost. I'd love to take Olly somewhere with a good few inches of snow. I think he'd love it. There are rumours that snow will fall on Dartmoor at the weekend. I'm wondering whether to drive up and find it. It would be an adventure I think.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos. The white stuff is forecast to be heading our way apparently arriving on Thursday. We'll see! We've had such a peculiar winter, daffodils are up and out in some places and geraniums are still flowering in my tubs. Putting out the rubbish just now I noticed my strawberry plants are doing things that they shouldn't be doing at this time of the year. Oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maybe I'm actually capable of re-entering the blogosphere now? No promises, but maybe...at least for a bit! Great pictures here. I love hoar frost...amazing photo opportunities when that's around. Around here it's pretty common because we get these inversions with a fog layer. I particularly like your feather shot. It's amazing to me you already have bulbs coming up. Certainly a different climate condition from Fort St John...and I suppose even Kamloops!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Winter has finally arrived where I live, with a vengeance! The plant life is all sorts of confused. One of the trees in our yard started to bud last week, and I don't think anything officially went into hibernation until it dropped below zero yesterday. It's a strange winter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No snow here yet in Northern NJ. I have to say I would not mind if we miss out on snow this year. We had WAY to much these past two years

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad I found your blog. I loved learning about Tea Pot Hill. Looking forward to more! ~Terri

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such dramatic pictures from nature Kristie. I love the mist rising, and the pretty icicles. The little heart vest is gorgeous, and how lovely to have little girls to knit for. Are they daffodils poking up their little heads? So early....

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your snow and ice pictures. No snow here in our Mid-Wales valley yet, though some parts of the UK have had a taste. I live in hope.... :-)

    ReplyDelete