Monday, January 4, 2016

Confession Time

I sat down this morning to sort through my pictures in order to do a post about Christmas. In a matter of minutes I felt completely overwhelmed by the number of pictures I had taken. As I scrolled through all of them I also realized that if I included a photo of each person who was here to celebrate, you were going to have a severe case of picture fatigue before you got through even half of the blog post. So my apologies, but you are stuck with this Cole's Notes version of the 2015 Hammond Christmas.




I'll start out with the group picture, just so you know we really did have an overflowing cottage. If you throw in the photographer (that would have been me), the head count was fifteen. It's not a perfect picture, but with that many people, plus an errant dog making an appearance, this is as good as it gets.

One of the very special parts of the holiday was my mom getting to spend time with both of her great granddaughters.




It was my niece Danielle's first visit to our cottage, so of course I had to take her up Teapot Hill. Here she is at the very top, holding one of the 33 teapots we spotted on the hike.




Two days before Christmas we got snow! It was Lucy's first time playing in it, and she was hilarious. She kept flinging herself down, making snow angels. Then she would hold out her tongue and try to catch snowflakes on it, giggling the whole time. Most of all, she loved making a snowman.




Here's the Wowligan sweater I knit for Lucy. The picture of her wearing it isn't great, but it was the best I could manage when trying to get a two year old on a Christmas cookie high to model. Ravelry details here.




Ella's Oslo-Anorak, which I have renamed Licorice Allsorts,  is just a little too big, so pictures of her wearing it will follow in a few weeks. Besides, even if it had fit, there was no way to get her into the sweater because someone was always holding her. My brother was especially guilty of this. Every time I turned around he had Ella!




Christmas is a funny thing. Weeks, and perhaps months if you are a knitter, go into planning it. Then there is this intense, crazy, busy, loud, fun time together that is over in a heartbeat. It was wonderful having everyone here, and we had a great time together. But I have to confess, when it was over I felt a bit like this picture.




Happy New Year!

22 comments:

  1. WOW! That's a lot of people! I'm glad it held so many experiences of happiness and togetherness. Happy new year to you too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kristie. Next time we will get you in the "Family Pic"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No selfies for you,then!
    Sounds exhausting...but so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great time, with lots of treasured memories. Bet wishes for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had one of those whirlwind festive seasons too. How lovely to have all the generations under one roof though. I wish you a happy new year Kristie, with a little r&r to start off with. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that feeling very well! I escaped to work today because I could just not bear another day of madness. It looks like your Christmas was fabulous. It is wonderful to have a big family (even though it can be a bit overwhelming). I wish you a happy 2016 with lots of family time but also plenty of time to be yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You last photo does say it all. Next year we'll have 3 grandchildren and I can only imagine how that is going to add to the chaos. I feel I'll need to remove some of the furniture in my living room to make room for everyone. Your sweaters turned out beautifully. You have such an eye for design to choose such lovely patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. Though you probably have in the past, please explain teapot hill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kristie,
    You must have been very busy! I had eleven round for Christmas dinner, but they went home. I'm not sue I'd cope very well with lots of people in the house. I get too stressed worrying whether everyone is enjoying themselves. Did they eat all the sausages and bacon that you bought?
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great family photos! I wish my whole family could have been together this Christmas, but it just didn't happen. There were 9 at my house, but there should have been 18. Your gifted sweaters look beautiful! I really like the little cabled owls in the wowligan ... cute!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post of a lovely Christmas, Kristie. What good times you had in the cottage, and out in the snow. Love the idea of Lucy making the snow angels, and the girls two sweaters are beautiful and creative. A Christmas cookie high? he he, I think our grandson was on one of those too... Happy New Year, and all health and happiness for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy you had a wonderful family gathering and celebration. I love the photo of the first snow and playing in it!! so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy new year, looks like you had a wonderful time, love both the knits especially the owl cardi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kristie, it looks like you had a wonderful holiday with your family. Your knits are lovely, the girls will both love wearing them. They are both getting so big! I love the photo of your mom with them. She must be enjoying them so much. I wish you all a happy new year. I hope this year brings you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks as though you had a great time! So glad for you. Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look like some very special family moments. It must have been wonderful to share in Lucy's first snow moments. The knitting you did for both your grand daughters looks wonderful a love the colours of the liquorice one! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks like everyone had a fantastic Holiday, I am so glad your Mom was able to be there for all of the fun.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy new year to you too. I can understand how and why you felt like you did by the end of it all but my goodness it looks like everyone had fun. Just love Ella's liquorice cardigan especially x

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like your family created some wonderful memories during the holidays. Can't do better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that last picture, you definitely captured the end of the christmas period brilliantly. It made me laugh. Seriously though, glad you had such a great family time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing your family Christmas. Mine was sparse this year, and your pics reminded my of years gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Belated Happy New Year to you, Kristie. You obviously had a lot of fun at Christmas and I love the results of your knitting frenzy. :)

    ReplyDelete