Friday, February 12, 2016

Ups and Downs

This week has felt like a roller coaster ride. Highs and lows, brilliant moments and not so great ones, all mixed together like a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour beans. It's certainly left me feeling like I don't want to put my hand in the box to get another one.




:: I spent a wonderful weekend in Victoria visiting Lucy. She had this Nana laughing on more than one occasion. I especially loved how excited she was when I told her I was having a birthday this week. Her eyes got really big and she said, "Nana, you're going to be five!" Oh, to view the world through the eyes of a two year old. I had forgotten what mimics they are at this age, and after accidentally teaching her to say "Ew, disgusting" I was much more careful with what I said around her.




:: I finished the Goats of Inversnaid mitts before Christmas, but got delayed finishing the hat until January. Kate Davies wrote these patterns for her new yarn, Buachaille. I really enjoyed knitting with this yarn, but sadly, due to a Canadian dollar that has deflated faster than a ballon with a double pointed needle stuck into it, I probably won't be knitting with it again for a bit. The good news is, I still have the skeins from the Seven Skeins Club, so at least I can play with those until the dollar turns back around.

:: Somehow my computer got hacked, or taken over, or whatever it is that allows someone access to one's email contact list. I think I've sorted it out now, but there was a grim period of about two hours when I was getting emails and phone calls from everyone from my brother to my publisher letting me know they had received strange email messages from me. It's a rather awful feeling to be honest. It felt invasive, and creepy, and pointless. Who does this kind of thing? What could possibly be gained from sending spam emails to random people on a contact list?

:: If technology lets you down it's always nice to turn to nature. But even that seemed to have it in for me this week. A squirrel ate its way through my car's tubing for the windshield wiper fluid. It's good Lucy wasn't around or she might have learned an expression a little more colourful than "Ew, disgusting."

:: Yesterday I got an early morning call from my brother letting me know mom had fallen in the night and broken her arm. She didn't phone 911 when it happened, nor did she phone my brother. She didn't want to bother anyone in the middle of the night. She waited until the morning to ask for help. Unfortunately she is going to need surgery next week to pin it back together, so I will be heading down to Spokane once I know the date of the surgery.




:: On a more positive note, I was taking a picture of these crocus a couple days ago, and couldn't believe it when this bee zoomed into the picture! February seems quite early for the bees to be out and about.




:: I love how the lake and mountains can look completely different from one day to the next, and sometimes just from one hour to the next. Today the mountains were dressed up in stripes.

:: So there you have it. My wild roller coaster ride of a week. I'll try to get one more blog post in before I leave for Spokane. Have a great weekend everyone!

26 comments:

  1. See, you do seem to be in the right place at the right time in order to get that bee picture. Just remember than when you're on the down ride. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's broken arm. That is especially trying since she is so far away. It's good that you had that great weekend with Lucy to help give you a little buoyancy when you hear about your mother. I don't know if I'm on your contact list, but I didn't get any strange e-mails from you this week. I hope it hasn't caused any other problems on your computer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is -30 back here in Ontario....yet I have mosquitoes flying around my house. What gives with the insects?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your mom's recovery is swift and smooth! I loved seeing the crocuses. We are going to be in the minus 20's for daytime highs for the next couple of days, sigh. Windchill for tomorrow predicted to be in the mid-minus 30's. And we were having such a nice, non-wintery winter up until now! -- Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy is adorable. It would be nice if she stayed this age for a few years before continuing the sprint to adulthood. Kids grow too fast. I'm so sorry about your mom. That must have been a terribly long night for her.
    Whatever it was that you said about the squirrel, my dog (Maggie) would agree with you. "Squirrel" is the only word that makes her growl and bark. She really can't stand them. We think it's because she can enjoy chasing bunnies (never catches them), but squirrels are always out of her reach...like they're taunting her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for your mom a broken is never easy in the everyday little tasks wishing her a speedy recovery. Few months back I found this site: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ it's very helpful to find help and solutions for computer infection problems, I did a security clean up with the various tools they are offering it's really worth to take the time to run some of them from time to time and be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kristie............... Let's hope wr get to chat before you leave.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope that all goes well for your mother...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo of the bee on the crocus could win prizes. It's brilliant. As for hacking emails, that happened to me a couple of years ago. I now have extra security at the login stage. As well as a password, I have to enter a code that is texted to my phone. It's a nuisance, but has saved me from anymore hacking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry about the hacking and your Mom's arm.....hacking is annoying, broken bones are worrisome....hope the surgery goes well. Lucy is adorable....

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are minus 3 F - no bees, but I keep finding flies in my upstairs office! I hope the coming week goes well and your mother's surgery is easy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awful about your computer being hacked, glad you got it sorted. So sorry about your Mom, isn't is sad that they don't want to bother anyone. If it were reversed she'd be angry that you didn't let he know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful photos of your beautiful granddaughter, and your knitting is inspirational. I'm hoping to try using different colours soon but it would take me years to learn how to make something like those! Hope your mums operation goes well and she is on the mend soon. Such a worry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's fall. Hope that the surgery goes well and she recovers quickly. What a beautiful shot of the crocuses with a bonus bee! Looks so very springlike.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about your mother's fall. How typical of that generation to wait considerately until morning for help despite the pain and shock. I do hope her surgery goes well. I'm glad you managed to have a lovely weekend with your gorgeous Lucy before this happened.
    A friend in the south-west of England posted a photo of a bumble bee on FB this week. It does seem very early for bees to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, quite a mixed week! I am glad about the goods, your knitting is fabulous!!! Sorry to hear about your computer, I hope that all is well now. I hope that all will be well for your Mom with the surgery and her recovery. Sending good thoughts and hugs for you both. Happy Valentines! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a crazy week, lots of wonderful time spent with your Lucy, but bad news about your computer and your Mom, bless here heart not wanting to bother anyone, the poor soul must have been so uncomfortable. That is the way my Mom was too, but my Dad, Lord he would call you in the middle of the night and scream. Wishing you a much better week and of course hope all goes well with your Mom.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a frustrating week, but your little granddaughter is definitely a highlight! Your poor mom to suffer with a broken arm all through the night! I hope she is kept in comfort until her surgery. Your a good daughter to head on down there to help her through that. Your hat and mitts look wonderful! And it's nice to see the bugs are waking up out there ... nothing flying here except fruit flies indoors. Bitterly cold outside tonight! BRRRrrrrr!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, a very up and down week for you Kristie. The computer hacking is really creepy: I am glad you were able to fix it so quickly. I am sorry to hear about your poor Mum, and hope the surgery goes well. She will love having you there to help her - and you can share those gorgeous pictures of little Lucy. What a cute doll she is. Happy fifth birthday :))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Computer hackery is so random but is hugely invasive to the 'hackee'. I feel for you and hope it's all sorted now. So sorry to hear about your mum – I do hope she's ok and your trip to see her goes smoothly. Lovely to hear about your 'ups' too. Gorgeous photos. Take care, Kristie. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Kristie,
    Just catching up, after a few days away.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. I hope the op goes well, and she makes a speedy recovery. I remember my Mum taking a fall, and not wanting to bother any of us kids. he'd broken her ankle, and had to have a op. Daft moo! As for the computer debacle; I also don't see the point in it. It's like a form of bullying as far as I can see. t's happened here too, and yes it made me feel creeped out too. As if someone has had a rummage around in your private life. Very unsettling. And I can relate to the out of the mouth of babes experience...I said a rude word in front of Olly at the weekend, and of course he copied it sing song style. As they do. As soon as he knew it was a 'naughty' word, he started saying it over and over again. Alfie came to the rescue however, by making up some nonsense word, and pretending that was even ruder. Now Olly keeps shouting Boombum at every given opportunity. He's quite forgotten arse.
    Your grand daughter is an absolute beauty by the way. But you knew that already ;)
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found your blog through Leanne's Today's Stuff. Sounds like you have had lots of bitter sweet moments this week. Never realised squirrels could be such as menace. Hope all goes well with your mum. I will be popping back to find out more about life in Canada! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh dear, your poor mum, hope she's on the road to recovery soon. I find it so hard, despite telling my parents that they must call me at any time of the day or night, they fail to do so.
    We had to change our email address having been hacked a couple of years ago. Apparently I was sending all and sundry spam emails, it's just so annoying and time consuming to sort out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a bit late with this comment (time flows differently in Scotland). I hope your mum's arm is not unbearably painful until she has surgery. Imagine that, not calling for help when you need it because you don't want to disturb anybody. Bless her. I always wondered why anyone bothers sending spam after getting access to your email contacts. I would feel very violated, like you. It makes me wonder how secure our computers are. Richard was contacted by our youngest boys birth mother recently, that was creepy, too. Your knitting is as always beautiful. The yarn is quite expensive even without the exchange rate but it is gorgeous. Hope the rest of the week is better. Happy fifth birthday :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. happy birthday you five year old you ;). Bummer about your mom not telling anyone, but wasn't she sweet to not make you guys worry?? I am hoping the surgery went well or goes well. I'm sure a "bot" is what hacked your stuff and someone wrote that nasty program to do it. I have everything on two word verification so hacking is a but of a chore for someone :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I suspect you maybe heading to Spokane or in Spokane by now but I'm sending positive vibes that your mom's surgery is without issue and is successful. Sorry to hear about all the other things that are less than stellar in your world (I've wondered the same thing about the email hack) but hey, you have a beautiful granddaughter who thinks you are turning 5! How cool is that?! Happy birthday K!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kristie so sorry to hear that you had such a roller coaster ride of a week. especially around your birthday too! How does it feel to be 5? I do hope your Mother recovers well from her operation. It is going to be a difficult only have the full use of one arm. The crocus and lake images are wonderful. Take care. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete