Sunday, March 6, 2016

Between Weathers

The arrival of March has me wondering if there is an expression similar to "in like a lion, out like a lamb" that applies to "in like a monsoon." Having lived here for almost three years now I fear the second half of that phrase might be "out like a monsoon." I keep reminding myself this is the price to pay for living here, and also how appropriate it is that my street name has the word mossy in it.

Most of this past week has been spent recovering from the nasty bug I picked up while in Spokane, stocking up an empty fridge, and taking care of other jobs that need doing before I go back down towards the end of the week. I've managed to walk every day in between storms. They have been slow walks, but I have enjoyed every minute of them. There's nothing like being away from home for a couple of weeks to give you a new appreciation for surroundings you mostly take for granted. 




One of the advantages of traveling by car rather than by plane is the ability to pack multiple knitting projects. I took several WIPs along to work on in the evenings, including the Chinook Mitts I was making as part of the Knit British Nature's Shades Along. I finished knitting them while I was away, and when I got home I wove in all the ends.




It has been so nice to be able to cook again. Maybe a little bit too nice. I have been on a comfort food binge this week. Nigella's leek pasta bake was amazing. It's from her newest cookbook, Simply Nigella.  I really do try to cook healthy things most of the time, but every once in awhile I think it's nice to make something for no other reason than it tastes good. Nigella's recipes seem to mostly fall into that latter category. Oh, and I should add that I subbed gluten free flour and pasta and it still came out great. Sadly this isn't always the case when making those substitutions.




My great disappointment when I was in Wales a few years ago was not being able to enjoy eating Welsh cakes. This year I decided to celebrate St. David's Day by trying a gluten free recipe for Welsh cakes and they turned out great! Part of the reason they tasted so good might be the fact I splurged and used Kerrygold butter from Ireland when I made them. Oh my. Some people claim nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Others say heroin. They are wrong. There's something in that Irish butter that once consumed can never be forgotten.




I'm trying to fight off the urge to bake chocolate chip cookies, which might just be the ultimate comfort food. I'm also trying not to think about what they would taste like if I made them with some Kerrygold.   

20 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that you came down with a bug....do you think it was caught at the hospital?

    I loved the mittens...I know that I don't need them now but it doesn't stop me appreciating the design.

    Sometimes you just have to cook what you want...I've made a recipe Leo's mother had when they lived in the Congo: onions and garlic sweated off in butter,then unrefined palm oil added, chicken thighs fried until brown, then red hot peppers whole and water to cover. Shudder to think what a doctor would say...but it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you have still been icky, if it is anything like the thing I have had it must have been very horrid. I hope that you are on the mend now and don't have the cough. Your cooking all sounds wonderfully delicious!! I have that new Nigella book, but haven't made anything from it, perhaps I will try the pasta as that sounds great! Take care of yourself, hope you are all better soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your next journey to Spokane will not be too tiring. You are such a wonderful daughter, making sure your mum is doing alright. I read the leek pasta bake recipe today, it did sound lovely and now that I know it was good, I shall make it, too. I hope you buttered the dish with a dab of Kerrigold butter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry you were not well but now well I hope you are fit and enjoying be back home. I say you should bake those cookies, then I'll come over and eat them with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was only me fighting the urge to make chocolate chip cookies. Normally I only make them at Christmas time because they're so addicting and so fattening. But lately I've been craving them and having to talk myself out of making them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes comfort food is just what you need. I made a tuna casserole the other day and I don't even cook. All that cheese and cream of chicken soup, yum!
    Hugs to you and feel better, be careful on your drive.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, feeling poorly, doing without, and miserable weather DOES have a way of making the back-to-normal life feel grand! When I was sick a few weeks ago I told my husband on the first day of feeling better that the "good" part about being sick is just how great it feels to feel normal again, with my usual aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really can't talk of GF Welsh cakes and include a link to a recipe! Always on the lookout for a new GF recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to include a link Skeindalous. I'm going to edit the post now and put it in. Sorry about that!

      Delete
  9. Mmmm, what a delicious post, Kristie. I have never heard of Welsh cakes, but like the look of them, and have never heard this most interesting news about Irish Butter. Well, you know where I'm off too later in the year. Do you think I should drop a few kilos in advance? probably...
    Lovely mittens, and I'm sure delightful to wear. I agree, nothing like returning home to appreciate your own walking territory. I am just the same. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing like a trip away to appreciate your own surroundings, such a shame it was to look after your Mum, hope she is now on the mend. That leek bake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't had Kerrygold butter in a long time, but oh my, it's good. I used to babysit as a teenager for some people who had emigrated from Ireland and who always kept Kerrygold in the house. They taught me to make sandwiches with butter on the bread, even the meat sandwiches. I think I would have weighed 400 lbs. if I'd lived with them and their Kerrygold all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Welsh cakes look delicious and great that you've found a successful gf recipe. Hope all goes well on your next trip to Spokane. Take care Kristie. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  13. How annoying to go down with a bug as soon as you returned home! Your cooking looks so delicious. Hope it has built you up for your return journey to be with your Mum. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so behind with everyone! It's lovely to have a morning to catch up on blog posts. But now you have me craving Welsh Cakes, again! (Made with Welsh butter of course, it's just as good as Irish ;) )

    I do hope all is as well with you as can be expected my friend and that you feel well in yourself again. We need a proper catch up xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. The welsh cakes and the pasta look delicious and comforting.
    Thumbs up for butter, that's what I say!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely awesome is how Kerrygold chocolate chip cookies would taste! I didn't know that Irish butter was available on this side of the Atlantic - if I knew where to buy it, I would have a fridge-ful. And are there more germs than usual this winter? I'm just getting over a 2-week cold, and I hadn't had a cold in years. Hope you are fully recovered! -- Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every year at the holidays we make my husband's (Welsh) grandma's Welsh cakes from her old recipe that I can barely read now. They are my husband's favourite 'cookies'.
    That storm system certainly walloped the coast! Although it did bring some sun behind it for a day or so.
    Hope that last of that bug has left you, I know it has been lingering for many.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all those photos you put up! Love those rich greens and blues in that lake pic. I always love going to the coast to see all that lushness!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry you've had the bug AND bad weather. You will be more than ready for spring when it arrives. Love the mitts. :)

    ReplyDelete