Friday, March 18, 2016

Settling In



:: I've just returned from another trip to Spokane, and I'm happy to report that my mom is back in her apartment and doing well. One of the things I miss the most about the area I grew up in is the amazing sunsets. This picture was taken from the back deck at my brother's home.

:: My apologies for the previous blog header. I knew it looked a bit blurry, but thought that might be because my reading glasses weren't strong enough. In between trips to Spokane I went to the eye doctor and got stronger reading glasses, and glasses for driving as my distance vision has also deteriorated. I was appalled when I put on the new glasses and saw the header was still blurry, but didn't have a chance to fix it until I got home.

:: This article about a man being attacked by a lion in Kenya caught my attention this morning, not because of the attack itself, but, rather, due to the fact it referred to the man as being elderly. He was 63. My eyes might be going downhill, but I hardly feel like I will be elderly in four more years. I would like to have a word or two with the young punk who wrote that article.




:: Jay asked me why I didn't have a picture of his cat Emily in my side bar. I told him his fondness for Emily reminded me of Hagrid's love for his pet dragon Norbert. He is totally blind to Emily's flaws. She once swiped Karsten with her paw and the infection that set in was so bad he had to go on a course of antibiotics. Her latest bad habit has been scratching the wood post at the top of the stairs. And in this picture she has been partying in a bag of CDs Jay checked out of the library, and has scattered the library tickets all over the floor. (Okay, honesty forces me to admit Fergus may have also been involved, but at least I am willing to own up to the flaws in my own pet.)




:: Fergus was at the vet last week for his vaccinations and a check-up. Apparently he is about two pounds over his ideal weight, so I've now got him on a strict diet. In his case this basically means keeping him from snacking on the cat's food all day long.

:: Ella Gordon has been named the Shetland Wool Week patron for 2016. I met Ella that wonderful day I visited the Jamieson & Smith shop, and I'm sure she'll do a terrific job in her role as patron. Today she released her Croofthouse Hat pattern, which I'm sure will be on many heads come this September.

:: The Edinburgh Yarn Festival is happening this weekend, and I'm feeling quite sorry for myself that I'm not attending. It feels like everyone else is there but me, but then I remind myself that actually most people don't even know what the Edinburgh Yarn Festival is. In fact, I'm guessing there are quite a few people who don't even know where Edinburgh is. If, like me, you feel like you are missing out on all the excitement, you can buy the Wool Tribe magazine which has six knitting patterns in it.

:: I have a finished knitting project to show you, and a finished sewing project. However, having fired my in-house photographer the pictures will follow at a later date. Selfies are okay for socks, hats and mitts, but not so great for sweaters and tunics.




:: In lieu of a finished project picture I am posting this one of Lucy, texted to me last week. This is the Wowligan I knit her for Christmas. There's something special about seeing the handknits you've made being worn out in the wild.

:: I bought some chestnut flour because I kept seeing it pop up in gluten-free recipes, especially recipes out of the UK. Of course, now that I have the flour I can't remember which recipes I had been looking at that inspired me to buy it. If you have any good recipes using chestnut flour I would really appreciate it if you left a comment.




:: The sun is shining and I plan to hike Teapot Hill again today. I never get tired of the way the light filters through the trees. 

:: Apologies for being absent from your blogs over much of the past month. I really need to start using Bloglovin because my current system of blog reading does not work on the iPad, which is what I use when I'm away from home. 

:: Have a great weekend!

33 comments:

  1. That's great that your mum is back home and doing well. Have to say I heard at lunchtime today about the elderly man being attacked in Kenya by the lion. I had no idea he was 63, I would call that more upper middle age, certainly not elderly.
    Really enjoyed reading your post and your header pic is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going with your definition of "upper middle age" Jacqueline. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thrilled for you that your Mum is back home. I am with you 63 is definitely not elderly I would call that middle aged. Beautiful cardigan as is the sweet model wearing it. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's very nice to have her settled back into her apartment and doing so much better. I agree about 63 being middle age. Even when I was in my twenties and thirties I don't think I would have thought of someone who was 63 as being elderly.

      Delete
  3. So glad to see you posting and to hear that your Mom is doing really well. Good for her getting back to her apartment. You are a lovely daughter to take such good care of her. I love the story about the cat, of boy some cats are just pistols, I have a four year old pistol myself. 63 elderly? Really?
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! A fellow pistol cat owner. I see other bloggers post pictures of their calm, gentle cats and wonder where we went wrong. :-)

      Delete
  4. Good to hear that I`m not the only one who buys special ingredients and then can`t remember the recipe that goes with it. I need a system of labeling for such things. And I too have been envying the lucky people who are posting all kinds of photos from the Edinburgh Yarn Festival. Maybe one day I`ll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my last episode of buying an ingredient I couldn't remember the recipe for was Red Boat fish sauce. It went past its expiry date and I still hadn't figured it out. Maybe we should go to the Edinburgh Yarn Festival together. It would be a blast!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed catching up on your whereabouts. Lucy is such a sweetheart! And she looks terrific in grammy's creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! It's nice to be home, and I hope to catch up on my blog reading this weekend.

      Delete
  6. Glad things are good with your Mom, and she must be too! Love that shot of Lucy in her knit-by-Grandma sweater. It looks the perfect thing to wear to the beach at this time of year. My husband was recently asked by some young whipper snapper if he wanted his seat on the subway (he's 53). He said he almost fainted from the shock ;) Have a great weekend Kristie.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking on the bright side Wendy, at least that young person was polite. :-)

      Delete
  7. Good news about your mom. They always feel better when they are back in their own homes and back to their comforting routines. Lucy's sweater looks terrific, what a cutie!? My had a tabby -Jenny- and nobody messed with her! We had three male cats at the same time and they gave her a wide berth ! She loved me and was sweet as pie to me but look out everyone else!! I am so envious of anyone at the EYF , looks like so much fun!! Poor Ferguson, the vet told our daughter to watch his weight too, she was quite miffed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't too offended when the vet said Fergus was a tad bit overweight. He didn't lecture me. In fact, he's admitted his own dog is actually obese, and nothing they've done has worked to get it to lose weight. :-)

      Delete
  8. lovely catch up with you! Frodo is one pound over than his usual....and we do not have cat food about! Lovely sweater modeling, and I'm glad to know your mom is okay. Keeping up with blogs is hard, I use bloglovin. and replying from my own blog comments, it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how one or two pounds on a person is negligible, but on a small dog is quite a bit. Fergus isn't noticeably overweight, so that's a good thing. I think the vet was just letting me know so he doesn't get any bigger. Frodo is such a cutie. He doesn't look overweight in the pictures I see of him. I'm hoping to get the blogs I read into Bloglovin today.

      Delete
  9. So glad your Mother is doing better, I know that's a relief to you. What a sweet sweater. Our cats, love them, but oh they can be right buggers at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mac n' Janet! Yes, cats can definitely be a pain. Out of the three we've had two have been bad tempered.

      Delete
  10. Good to see you back here. Amazing photos especially the last one. I know a couple of people at EYF and it looks like they are having a great time, jealous no not me..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It's nice to be back. Have you ever been to the EYF? You are relatively close (meaning, there's not an ocean between you and all that yarn). I don't know how you can resist the temptation. :-)

      Delete
  11. It's good to hear your Mum has now settled back at home and is doing well. Fergus doesn't look over weight, maybe I should weigh Tavi to make sure he is not in the same position! We have always had Twinkle's food up high and out of reach of the dogs. Lucy's cardigan looks wonderful against the backdrop of the water. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he looks overweight either, Sarah. The vet came to that conclusion by running his hands on his underside. He said it's determined by the shape there. I wish I could keep the cat food out of reach, but in our cottage there really isn't a place to put it. We just have to keep a very close watch. Both of our dogs prefer the cat's food to theirs. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. :-)

      Delete
  12. So glad to hear that your mom is doing better and back in her own place. I bet that's a relief for you! I've never heard of someone in their 60s being called elderly...I'm not there yet and even I'm insulted by that! Why exactly did you fire your in-house photographer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rachel, it's a huge relief. As for the in-house photographer, there are several reasons he's been let go. The first is his heart just isn't in it. His idea of an acceptable picture and mine are miles apart. He always thinks the first picture is great and wants to stop after he's taken it. The second, and probably biggest problem is he is 6'4" tall and I'm 5'4" tall if I send up very, very straight. After trying in vain on numerous occasions to convince him that he needs to bend down a bit when he takes the pictures I've given up. I now wait for one of my girls to come for a visit. :-)

      Delete
  13. Happy to hear your mother is doing well on her own. I agree that will be a relief!
    On the age-ist front I saw "50+" referred to as "active senior" - I was truly horrified.
    As for chestnut flour I was thinking of something as well which I can't recall.
    Epicurious has many recipes which include it - not sure if they will suit you
    http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=chestnut+flour

    I do like the looks of these ricotta crepes …
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/chestnut-flour-crepes-with-ricotta-and-honey-recipe.html

    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Active senior at 50? Good grief! I checked out that crepe recipe and it looks very good. And I'll have a look at the Epicurious site. Thanks for the tips!

      Delete
  14. A lot has changed over the past 30-40 years. 63 used to look old on most people. But just as 40 became the new 30, "elderly" isn't what it used to be. In fact, I've noticed many restaurants that offer a "senior discount" have been raising the qualifying age over the past decade or so. I started looking at that when my dad's wife got annoyed when he claimed the discount for her.

    And, according to the US Social Security Administration, I can't retire with full benefits until I'm 67. No civilized society would require the elderly to work, right??? That has me thinking elderly must be somewhere well north of 70.

    PS - I do say have the lungs of an elderly coal miner, but I've never tried to assign an age to that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that places are raising the age for qualifying for a senior discount. Canada changed its age to 67 to qualify for CPP (our equivalent of your Social Security) a few years ago, but our new prime minister is changing it back to 65.

      How are your coal miner lungs? Have you recovered from your pneumonia?

      Delete
    2. I'm much better and back at work this week. Not 100%, but I might have to wait for hot weather for that to happen. I had my first case of pneumonia right after a weird Halloween night when I was 14. It's been all downhill (lung-wise) since then.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful shots & thanks for sharing what's been happening. Glad to hear that your mom is back home & doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm finally catching up on blogs, having been away for a week. What a lovely post Kristie: I'm pleased you Mum is doing so well, good news. Isn't Lucy beautiful... As for Fergus, what a character. I had to laugh about him possibly being involved, which reminded me of my two Canadian grandsons who like to make mischief together, then try to shift the blame :) We had a little dog who ate the cat's food, every night, during the night - while we were asleep and couldn't catch him. He was quite a little devil. And 63 is young as a spring chicken - I have noticed the word 'elderly' being used in the media for those over 60 in Australia too. Bah, humbug. Happy Easter Kristie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am late in the discussion but I so relate to this entry, that, I had to make a comment. 63 elderly, Really? This would not be the first time, that, a reporter refers to a person over 50 as elderly. A few months ago, a pedestrian was ran over by a car, here in Calgary, and to add insult to injury, in the news they referred to the victim as elderly.
    I am older than that, and I don't consider myself elderly. I guess in a reporter's point of view, I am living overtime, and I should be receiving the last rites and the extreme unction.
    I can also relate to the buying of ingredients and then misplace the recipe. I made a special trip to the, Bulk Barn, to buy spelt and kamut flour, now I can't find the recipe for the bread I wanted to make. I have been using it in pancakes, before it goes bad.
    I have been reading your blog for a while, but this is the first time I make a comment.
    All the best!
    Minerva,
    Calgary, Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  18. 63 elderly?! What does that make me with my 70th birthday coming up fast? I think of myself as in late middle-age. :)

    So glad to hear your mom is back home and doing well. I love the photo of Lucy in her gorgeous knit.

    ReplyDelete