Saturday, April 9, 2016

Button Delay

I meant to write this post earlier in the week. The problem was the content. I had two little baby sweaters I had finished, one more than a month ago, and I wanted to blog about them. But both sweaters needed buttons. My powers of procrastination when it comes to a dreaded job, be it cleaning, crafting, or anything else are not to be underestimated. On Wednesday I gave myself a stern talking to, and went as far as making a note.




A Post-It note usually motivates me, but in this case I ended up putting a very loose interpretation on the word "tonight." Three days later there were still no buttons, and no blog post. Yesterday, possibly motivated by the fact it was a lovely day and I could sit on the front porch while I worked, I finally got the buttons sewn on.




This is the Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann. It is the fifth one I have knit, and every time I make one I marvel at her brilliance. You would think after five of them I would start to understand how it all works out the way it does, but I remain as clueless now as I was when I cast on my very first one.




I think the puppy buttons are perfect. Fergus and Jenny agree.



The second sweater is a Puerperium, which is intended for a newborn baby. I made one for Ella when she was born and Rebekah really liked it. It's always nice to know something you knit for a baby is actually wearable. I have made a couple of duds in the past, so now I try to pick projects that are as practical as they are cute.




There was a slight delay in sewing on these buttons while I tended to an injury. The buttons were stapled onto a piece of cardboard, and I was using my seam ripper to pry them off. Here's a tip. It's a really good idea to point the seam ripper away from your other hand while doing this. If you don't, when the staple comes loose the point of the seam ripper will end up impaling the palm of your hand. Is it any wonder I hate sewing on buttons?




I'm sure you've figured out by now there is a new grandchild on its way. In a couple of weeks Lucy is going to have a little brother! We are all very excited, and I already have lots of little boy sweaters in my Ravelry queue that I hope to knit.

29 comments:

  1. Buttons are my bother, usually I sew them on and then they drop off!
    I'm getting better though. I love the little jacket and the sweater too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sweaters are GORGEOUS, yarn, color, buttons and all. All your baby projects have been charming, and these are no exception. Best wishes for the newest grandbaby,
    stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, both of them. That teal is so saturated and gorgeous. Congratulations on the new grandbaby. And p.s. I'm the same way with procrastination ... and buttons. Have you noticed, though, the task is rarely as bad as you think it's going to be? I've been meaning to try sewing buttons on my sweaters with my sewing machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always great to be in on a wonderful secret! Congratulations again on your soon-to-be grandson! 😍 Just two more weeks for us (hopefully!) I love your creations--and you put SO much into them (including your blood, apparently).

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting, another baby :-) Your sweaters are lovely and I love the colour of the Baby Surprise Jacket. Take care of your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sweaters! Irune

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting, a new baby to cherish such wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely sweaters, sorry about your hand and congratulations on the new baby. Guess you'll be getting the needles out again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its funny we were only talking about the Surprise Jacket at knitting group last week, I agree no idea how it works but it does. Congrats on grandson, that's you and me both, 4 weeks to go for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely baby sweaters and buttons. I think round buttons (rather than puppy,chicken etc. ones) are so much more practical for baby/child garments. Happy for your news about your new grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A baby brother for Lucy!!! That is the best news ever. I am so excited for all of you. Your sweaters are fantastic Kristen.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristie, that's wonderful! A grandson! Your sweaters are inspiring. I am almost finished my first EZ baby surprise and you are right, I can't figure it out yet. I also have a Flax Light (Tin Can Knits) underway. Both for my first grandson, due in June. :) A little brother for Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful sweaters, beautiful yarns! I love how the grey blue is the deep sky to the tumbled clouds on the Puerperium. You inspire me to just push on with the EZS. I even purchased a video on it, however I start and then stop in confusion. But it is such a sturdy wonderful shape. Looking forward to more pictures of your beautiful grandchildren in their knitted love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting, Kristie! I'm so happy for you and your family. I have really enjoyed watching your family grow via your blog. Lucy is going to be a wonderful big sister, if her relationship with Ella is anything to go by. The sweaters are lovely. I really like the buttons on both too. I'm sorry to hear about your seam-ripper injury, yikes. I'm kind of skittish around seam rippers myself, after slicing the side of a fingertip with one years ago. I hope you're having a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such sweet little baby jackets! Your choice in buttons is great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucy is going to be so happy! I hope. :)
    Both sets of buttons turned out really well--I think everyone likes puppy buttons.

    Your note reminded me of an exchange on the Odd Couple:
    Oscar: So what???
    Felix: Sew buttons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful to have another grandchild on the way! I love the puppy buttons. My Granny always used to knit me things as a child. It is a shame that there weren't those wonderful patterns around then. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Kristie,
    What lovely news about your impending new grandson. Your little cardis are gorgeous. I am a world leader in procrastination. I see it as a life skill ;)
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! Wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the baby surprise jacket!! congrats on a baby boy that is exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I recommend adding a pair of mini needlenose pliers to your knitting/sewing kit. Bent nosed ones work the best. You can really get those buttons off easily.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on the forth coming birth, sending love to you all. Love both knits but my goodness the first one is so totally stunning. Have no one small to knit for at present but I am soooo tempted by it. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW congratulations on the soon-to-arrive grandchild.
    I can hardly wait for the photos.
    Your new sweater projects are lovely. The BSJ yarn is a great colour.
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so late seeing this post that the baby has probably already arrived?! Congratulations on the impending birth ... very exciting times! The sweaters you have made are as beautiful as ever. I'm glad you confess to not understanding the mystery of how the sweater works (not that I've knit one of these). It's nice to know there are others like me ;) Your buttons look great on both knits. I've used a stitch ripper on staples before too. But why oh why are buttons still stapled on?! Terrible to stab your palm, but it's probably all healed up by now.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the single-yarn BSJ. I've always done it with stripes. And I agree with you, no matter how many times I knit it, it's always a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What wonderful knits! And lovely news about the new baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, I say this; when my grandchildren arrive, if they do, can I turn to you for help??? Otherwise I won't be any good with the little ones until they are big enough for foolish and theatrical playing. These items are really splendid, and I am so glad that some people has this godgiven ability to make wonders out of a bunch of wool. So lovely!! Buttons are really splendid !!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so behind reading blogs but I had to comment on this post. I laughed out loud that you have the same button problem that I do. And that you made yourself a 'talking to' post-it note. So Great! I did purchase 2 sets of buttons for 2 of my unfinished sweaters while in Pullman last week...and there they have sat. I'm off to write a post-it note to myself! ;)

    ReplyDelete