Wednesday, June 22, 2016

I'm Still Here

:: When I first took this picture I thought this squirrel was eating a peanut. I later realized that no, it wasn't a peanut. It was a raspberry from my bushes in front of the porch. I guess it was tired of eating the seeds and new plants in my garden and decided to add in a new food group.




:: Garlic scapes might be my very favourite thing to harvest from the garden. (Thankfully the squirrels and birds don't seem to like garlic, so it's left for me to consume.) Between the community garden, and the crop in my own garden boxes, there's been an abundance of scapes. I use them in lots of ways. I throw them in with pea pods and steam them. I put them into omelettes. I make garlic scape pesto. I even roast them in the oven.




:: The community garden is next to the pond, which is home to a pair of swans. They are actually quite nasty birds, and have attacked several residents here. I choose my path carefully when I go down to the garden, making sure I don't get near them. They don't like to be outsmarted though, so often will come sit just outside the gate to the fenced in garden area after they see me enter, making it impossible to leave.




:: Great excitement this week, as my Book of Haps by Kate Davies has arrived. I haven't started knitting a  hap yet, but will be soon. It's going to be hard to decide which one to knit first!

:: Along with garlic scapes, this is also the season for thimbleberries. They grow in abundance in the surrounding forest, and every day I eat handfuls of them.




:: I've done a bit of sewing. This is my denim version of the Willow Tank & Dress. I think it will be great to wear this fall with leggings and a long-sleeved shirt. My original plan had been to distress the denim and do some Sashiko embroidery on it, but now I'm having second thoughts.




:: Last, but not least, there's been some knitting happening. I joined The Shawl Society. It was a rather odd thing to do since I rarely knit shawls, but I really enjoy the Curious Handmade forum on Ravelry, and Helen's Curious Handmade podcast, so I decided to give it a try. There will be one shawl pattern released every month for the next six months. I don't plan to knit every one of them, but I did join in for the first pattern, the Talisman Shawl.




:: Lucy has a birthday coming up next month, so I've been busy making her present. This is Egg to Owl, and once I got the head stabilized (it looked like an owl imitating Nearly Headless Nick until I got it fixed) I was quite pleased with it. I hope Lucy will be too.



:: The world seems to have gone a bit crazy lately. It seems fitting to borrow the closing line my blogging friend at Hostess of the Humble Bungalow uses in each of her posts. Be Well and Be Kind.


23 comments:

  1. Definitely a crazy world at the moment. Thank goodness for the escapism that knitting and crochet offer. Your swans remind me of the many geese that used to wander around a particular park in London. I don't know if they are still there but I had many nightmares about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful closing line, we are certainly living in a crazy world. Love the little owl for Lucy, such a lovely gift, made with love. Love the denim dress, a great go to for leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the world is crazy. I only pull my head out of the sand to read my favourite blogs. The results of your creativity is always a joy to see, I particularly like you later sewing, the top is exactly what I like. I have only just yesterday picked up my knitting needles, after a long hiatus. I am going to ask Richard to plant some garlic scapes, they sound delicious and I am sure they would grow. I have not tasted thimbleberries before but I do like to eat handfuls of raspberries on my way to work, not just yet but very soon. Have a lovely weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post Kristie, with so much random goodness - which we all need in this crazy world. The egg to owl is the most gorgeous thing, and I've never seen anything quite like it. Lucy will love it so much, she will probably take it to bed with her. Your denim dress is a triumph, beautifully sewn and will work so well in all seasons I think. Nothing cuter than a squirrel trying a new diet item, and I am fascinated by the garlic scapes which I have never seen or heard of. No resemblance at all to the garlic we buy here, but it sounds like they must be delicious. Have a great week Kristie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the link to introduce thimble berries. I hadn't "met" them before. The garlic scapes were on Farmhouse Rules on the Food Network yesterday - twice in two days a new food comes to my attention. The show host said one cuts the scapes to encourage the garlic bulbs to develop larger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you've been enjoying our "summer" weather, doing lots of sewing and knitting. That's a beautiful shawl and such a cute owl. Thimbleberries are so good - they remind me of raspberries very delicate cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these posts that are full to the brim with news...you have been very busy and productive...
    I must try cooking some garlic scapes as they sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your lovely words and your Talisman shawl is gorgeous!! I am so wanting to make an egg to owl!! Yours is so stinkin' cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I love garlic scape pesto and glad that I made a ton of it to freeze the last time I could garden. I've not done much more exploring with those though... I'm sorry the swan is being a pill but I have to laugh. Those suckers (and geese) are quite mean...ask me how I know!

    And fabulous on all your makin's...the top is beautiful. I can see your hesitation messing with it, but I think the idea of the japanese embroidery would be cool! Awesome shawl and even more awesome owl in the egg! I've never seen that pattern before and love it! Finally -- I haven't ordered the hap book, but I need to. There are some amazing patterns in there. So much to knit, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Squirrels are funny aren't they! Your dress and shawl are both beautiful!! I hope that you really enjoy wearing them!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Egg-to-Owl????!! That was truelly amazing, Kristie as was the rest of this post. I can't imagine where you get the time for all this lovely handcrafting, but I am glad that you do. No squirrels in our garden, just the birds and the bees and the bees and the wasps and the wasps. We've had some serious drought here, apparently you did not, and the garden is not looking its best whatever that may mean in my case. Looking at all these lovely items you make I still wish you had a webshop or that I at least lived next door!! All the best of luck with your projects, big and small and may the raspberries be plenty!! But thimbleberries???? What are they?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never come across garlic scapes and thimbleberries. We picked our elephant garlic as we thought it was going to seed and I have now discovered we should have just cut off the top and let it carry on growing! Your sewing, knitting is lovely, Lucy will love the Egg to Owl so much. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  13. The squirrels usually get to my strawberries before I do. Your egg to owl is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your shawl ! And your dress is terrific- you will enjoy wearing it , I'm sure. And that owl- too darned cute!! We have been eating our scapes too-sometimes raw- they sure have a kick!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What's a garlic scrape, I don't think I've ever heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of a garlic scrape. I grow society garlic with pretty purple flowers to hopefully turn away the deer, my deer actually step over them and eat the things they like. I am in love with that dress, it will be perfect with leggings or just the way it is for summer.
    Hugs and I forgot, Love the owl in the egg.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Kristie,
    I have stared long and lovingly at your denim tunic. I love things like that for the cooler months, they are so versatile. I always remember being attacked by a swan when I was perambulating a baby Samuel. It came out of nowhere and bit my leg! It was terrifying. Perhaps it was protecting its' babies, but I've always been wary of them since them.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I'm glad you're still here. I am too. Just ;))
      L xx

      Delete
  18. Most definitely a crazy world.
    I just love your owl, he or she is just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've been busy! I wonder what swans taste like??? :) A local jurisdiction is having a real problem with geese, so they decided to thin the flocks and use the meat to feed the homeless. I've suggested this many times, so I'm really happy to see it happening. PETA is not.

    Do thimble berries have a lot of seeds? I stopped eating blackberries because of the seeds. Between getting stuck in teeth and the potential for a diverticulitis attack, quitting them seemed the best choice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love your owl that you knit up! I joined that shawl club as well, but I'm not knitting anything yet :) I started socks instead.

    ReplyDelete