Saturday, June 4, 2016

Out and About

I have to say I was overwhelmed and touched by your comments and support after my post about Fergus getting attacked by the German shepherd. So many of you have had similar experiences, or know of someone who has. In the end I did file a complaint about the dog, as so many of you had encouraged me to do. Now, on to more pleasant things!

A few weeks ago my brother came up for a quick visit. He's a walker too, so we always manage to get in a hike or two when he is here.


In spite of the fact he had just had shoulder surgery he decided he wanted to attempt to climb up Mt. Cheam with me. You can see Mt. Cheam peaking out in the top right of the picture above. The mountain is accessed by driving up a very rough forestry road. You have to have an off road vehicle to attempt it, which my brother does. We didn't make it to the top due to the amount of snow on the trail, but we did have a great time. I think the ride up that road was almost more of a workout than the hike itself!


Last weekend Rebekah, Ella and I went up to visit Alexandra in Kamloops for the weekend. We also spent time with our friends out in Sorrento, and while we were out walking in the forested area of their property we spotted some wildflowers. Tiger lilies always brighten up the path.


My favourites though are the lady's slippers. You can see how they got their name.


The evening light and the mountain background near our cottage combined to make one of the most beautiful rainbows I have ever seen.


I liked how this snail was colour coordinated with the dead leaf next to it.


The salmonberries are ripe. There's a big patch of them I go by when I walk to the lake, so I've been snacking on them on a regular basis.


While walking last week I spotted this lichen. It was hard to miss, as it was practically glowing.


The devil's club is in abundance when I hike up Teapot Hill.


And, of course, there have been more teapots spotted on Teapot Hill. This time it looked like someone was having a tea party.


Balance in life is so important. I'm so very fortunate to live in a place where I'm surrounded by natural beauty. I was so stressed about what happened last week, and it was a gift to be able to walk out my door and be surrounded by nature. There's something very healing about the smell of the forest, the sound of the birds singing in the trees and bushes, the mix of colours and light, and the unexpected beauty of something as simple as a snail or a patch of lichen. Have a great weekend!

15 comments:

  1. What a truly gorgeous corner of the world you live in. I'm glad you've been able to get out and do some walking and spend some time with your brother. I hope his shoulder heals quickly. You're right about how healing nature is, it never fails to cast things in a better light. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some beautiful pictures, Kristie! I agree about how nature can balance out the stress in our lives. If one doesn't live in amongst it, one must search it out in order to keep one's sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristie, I've gotten really far behind in blog-reading lately and didn't know about Fergus. I'm so sorry to hear about it. I really hope he's okay now. I remember when I was little we had a poodle that got attacked by a Doberman and it was very sad and scary. He needed stitches in his belly from being bitten. Your photos are really lovely today. It sounds like you've had some nice times lately. How nice to have a visit from your brother. I hope his shoulder is all healed up soon. Take care and have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to picture some place with snow this late in the year. Wonderful photos and glad you flied a complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live in a beautiful area, you are blessed.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are certainly blessed to live in such a beautiful area, Mother Nature at her finest with her beauty and healing powers. Amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Kristie, so many gorgeous pictures today. What fun to hike a mountain with snow, and fantastic to see lilies as wildflowers! We have to work hard to grow them. The glowing yellow lichen is so pretty - you do live in a lovely area. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, snow in the middle of summer. It must have been so cool, having the sun shining on your back and the snow crunching under your feet. I feel the same about going outside, it is hugely restorative for my soul. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, such ravishing pictures!! Flowers, snow, brisk and happy wanderers!! Most of my rehabtime during the healing of my poor hip, was spent walking in the woods , first with cruthches and now with sticks. These are such lovely and lively pictures, Kristie, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kristie,
    Your last paragraph resonates with me. I find the outdoors a very healing place to be. I'm so behind in my blog reading, so am so sorry to hear about Fergus. I do hope that he ok. Honey was attacked by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier when she was a pup. He clamped his jaws around her neck and wouldn't let go. It was a hideous experience, and the owner was completely blasé about it all. So I'm glad you reported the owner.
    Have a lovely week,
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many interesting items in this post. But all I can think about is how big that snail is! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does make such a difference to me too being so close to nature. There are so many special nature moments within your post! Your lady's slipper is so beautiful and looks so like a shoe! Your brother was brave attempting to climb the mountain while recovering from surgery! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You live in a really beautiful place, lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you are enjoying your beautiful country! I've always loved tiger lillies and lady slippers although the latter are not real common where we live and it takes a careful eye to catch them. Nice shot!! Beautiful images all around!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you sound like you are slowly recovering from your tragic event, and I'm glad about that. I hope in time it will be a VERY distant memory and all will be well with you and Fergus!! Love the photos and you do live in such a pretty corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete