Sunday, July 17, 2016

Sunday Six

:: Jay was away this week cat sitting for his sister. My viewing on Netflix and Slingplayer is greatly curtailed when he is away because I am a first class coward. The series I am currently watching is The Bridge. I've mastered the art of reading subtitles while knitting, which, if you think about it, is a skill that doesn't really transfer to anything else in life. I'm almost at the end of season one and have come to the conclusion that the female police detective, Saga Noren, is almost as scary as the psychopath they are trying to find.

:: Last week my vehicle was broken into while I was hiking up Teapot Hill. To say this was a low moment would be a gross understatement. I heard my car alarm go off just as I got to the bottom of the hill, and was close enough to catching the thieves in the act that I caught a glimpse of the back of their beat-up old van as it sped out of the parking lot. The back window was bashed in, and my purse, which had been carefully concealed on the floor at the back, had been stolen. They also grabbed my favourite lightweight jacket, which really made me mad. That jacket was perfect for traveling, and had been to China, South Korea, England, Scotland, Shetland, Wales, Ireland and Luxembourg with me. I've since replaced it with a new jacket, but it just isn't the same. Replacing all of my ID and cancelling bank cards has been a major headache, and the whole thing left me feeling quite depressed.

:: The news this past week has also been quite depressing. It feels like the world just keeps tilting a bit more with each new horrific event. I'm trying to find a balance between being well informed and being an ostrich. Right now the ostrich option is looking very appealing. How do you cope with the constant stream of bad news? I would appreciate any tips you might have for maintaining a sense of balance in the midst of current world events.




:: On a brighter note, the blueberry farm is now open. I've picked at least thirty pounds so far, and hope to pick at least that many more before the season ends. I try to put lots in the freezer, I dehydrate some, and best of all we eat tons of them fresh. And I was the lucky winner of a ten pound box of berries in a draw the farm had, which was especially nice because it happened right after my vehicle was broken into and made me feel like the universe was somehow trying to balance things out again.




:: Another bright spot was my visit with Oliver and Lucy last weekend. I couldn't believe how much Oliver had changed since I last saw him. He's smiling and cooing, and I even got him to laugh a couple of times. Although I don't think Karsten and Diana believed me since they didn't hear it themselves. And Lucy had me laughing on more than one occasion! Oh my goodness, the things that come out of the mouth of an almost three year old.




:: And, of course, there has been knitting. I still have shawl fever. It's something I thought I was immune to, but now that I've caught it I can see it might be incurable. This is the Amulet Shawl, which is the second shawl pattern released in Curious Handmade's Shawl Society. It's my first time working with beads, and I'm impressed by the fact they are actually sticking on the shawl. I'm also working on the Montbretia Shawl from The Book of Haps by Kate Davies. My strategy is to work on Montbretia while the dogs are around, and the beaded Amulet after they've gone to bed for the night. Beads and Fergus are not a good mix!




Those are my six things for a summer Sunday. I hope the rest of your weekend is filled with lovely things.

22 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that your purse and jacket were stolen. What a pain, having to replace all your ID and cards. And it sounds like the jacket held lots of good memories.
    The blueberries are great this year, and we had fresh corn for the first time yesterday. Got to love Chilliwack in the summer.
    I'm also relishing Kate Davies' Book of Haps. Haven't started one yet, but the Nuthap is calling me quite strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about the break-in to your car. That's the kind of thing that rattles me. So sorry you had to go through that. :( I have had a similarly awful week ... it must be something in the air. Then to top it off, everything going on in the world. Ugh. Thank heavens for knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The children are so beautiful and growing so fast. Sorry to hear your purse was stolen, easier to carry drivers license and small stuff in back pocket and leave purse home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear about the break-in and theft of your purse and jacket. The world is a scary place to live in at the moment. I find it helps to focus on the small beautiful things around us, and around the world (your blog for example). I try to be informed but make sure I listen to the short news on the radio rather than the 24h coverage on the news channels to avoid disaster overload. Your grandchildren are just beautiful, I am glad you get to see them so often. Have a lovely week, enjoy your knitting and the blueberries, too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the thefts. I don't know how some people sleep at night knowing that they make a living by causing so much upset. As for the rest of the news at the moment, I don't think I am coping very well. Something bad seems to happen every day and it is becoming overwhelming. Someone said to me that there is lots of good news as well but it doesn't sell newspapers. I think I would buy a paper if it had nothing but good news in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those shawls are fantastic! I think I've got the shawl bug lately, myself, so I know how you feel. Sorry you've got to replace all your stuff, though. I've only ever done it voluntarily when I changed my name, but it's such a huge pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristie, I'm so sorry about having your purse and jacket stolen. What a pain! I am spinning while watching The Bridge which works well as the spinning wheel is noisy and makes hearing difficult. I do have to rewind occasionally if I miss a subtitle. I believe the Saga character is written to have Aspergers. I agree about the news. I'm reading headlines but not the actual news stories anymore. It's just too much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how awful about the break-in! My way of coping with the distressing world news is to not listen to radio or TV news as much as I can. If I need to know, someone will tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awful to have your car broken in to, such a pain to replace and cancel cards and such. However, it is the sentimental items that can be replaced like your jacket with so many memories. There certainly has been a lot of tragic news of late, all I can do is maintain an inner peace so that I can cope with it all. Great shawls, I have a book for crochet beadwork but so far haven't tried it, I worry that I would have to concentrate on it too much. The children are growing so quickly, real cuties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What rotten luck having your break-in and having to change all your cards etc. It is quite a pain, isn't it; I have had to do it too. Those blue berries look so delicious, and in such quantities that I have never seen in reality. We only get them in tiny boxes or frozen. Lucy is looking so cute these days with her baby brother. What a thrill to be able to make him laugh - you must be on a Grannie high!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kristie, having your personal space invaded in that way is very disturbing. One of my sons had his apartment in Baltimore broken into on my birthday no less several years ago. At least they waited until he left, so his life was not threatened, but they stole his laptop computer. His roommate's dog effectively scared the thief away before he (my assumption) could take more. You expect such occurrences in Baltimore City, but certainly not on tranquil Tea Pot Hill! So it makes it even more disconcerting! When things like this happen to me (I have not been robbed but I have lost my wallet all on my own!) I try to see it as a warning of something worse I've been alerted to be careful about--more alert than I might have been otherwise. As for the world situation...I dare say it is not any worse than it's always been. It's just that now we know about everything. I keep informed via the newspaper (we get the Washington Post so we get ALL the news). I stay away from TV news--seeing disturbing live images that I personally can do nothing about serves no good purpose. We can all help by praying or contributing funds where needed, but unless yI should feel called to actually get in the mix and help by serving in some capacity, I figure my sensitive self is best shielded from the worst of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had my purse/wallet stolen twice and it is a horrible feeling of violation & anger. I'm sorry that you had to experience that. As for the bad news in the world, I would like to stick my head in the sand as well. It is depressing but I feel that it's important to stay informed but not obsessed with every news story that comes into my feed. I stay informed during the day but shut it off in the evening. I need to end my days in some sort of peace.Those blueberries look amazing. One of my favourite fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Kristie,
    Firstly I'm so sorry about your car break-in. Apart from the headaches of cancelling credit cards and the like, there's a feeling of vulnerability too. As for all the vile things happeneing in the world right now. I simply have no words. It beggers belief that humans can behave in this manner. I've developed a long ostrich neck too. I cannot be saturated by it too much, or my hope for a more peaceful and less hate filled world for my children would just fly out of the window.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I meant to say that I love Saga! I find her one of the most compelling charactrs on tv. I loved The Bridge so much. Have watched all series. There's an American version which is rather good too. Different story, but just as gripping.
    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to hear about the break in, what a horrible thing to happen. I think it's the feeling you're left with afterwards which is the worst thing. I don't watch the news these days as much as I used to, it's just far too depressing, hard to understand the atrocities that people can bestow on one another. How lovely that you got to visit with Lucy and Oliver, they change so much at that age, don't they? Your shawls are looking fabulous, I'm knitting my first one at the moment and I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no I am so sorry about the car break in, just so horrible that people resort to that and create such havoc in your life when all they want is a few dollars. that and the continuous news around the world can make for a depressing week. Bless those little ones for brightening your life and of course knitting helps too. Take good care of yourself,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO sorry to hear about your car being broken into, that really is horrid isn't it. Hope you have got everything sorted. I am going for the ostrich approach when it comes to world news right now. I know enough to know and that is all I need to know. Enjoy the blueberries!! Oh, and the knitting of course!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously , there is no good answer to this, how we cope. I feel sorry for that carbreakinn as well. We had one last year, almost the same procedure. Such a nuisance. The state of the world is actually worse than we think, and still better than we think. He who is within you is stronger than he who is in power in the world, the truth is that evil does win territory, but the real power lies elsewhere. I try to embrace every ray of light that comes my way. Children still learn new words, still laugh and play, flowers still bloom, squirrells still steel raspberries, people still help out in times of need, friendship prevails. Your blogposts are one reason to feel hopeful, my children another, friendly remarks from people, today a very nice an unexpected meeting on the delayed train. Picking blueberries, by golly, what amounts!!!
    We all feel concerned, anxious, downhearted, we must help eachother to find hope.

    ReplyDelete
  19. People stink! And people are wonderful. I'm sorry a few of the stinky ones are finding their way into your life. Hopefully the lady with the German Shepherd is being more responsible (or moving). I've been watching the news too much lately...it makes me think I should buy an AR-15, or AK-57 or whatever. But I'm not! The news just makes me feel the world is awful. But then you mention the grandkids and things look brighter. This will all work out and they'll experience a better world. It's hard to be sure (the picture is small), but it looks like Lucy is looking more and more like you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There doesn't seem to be anything good on the news at all and to hear your car has been broken into and possessions stolen is yet another sad event. Why? What is wrong with this beautiful world? It's all very depressing but it's the little things that cheer me up, my grand children, my family and my friends, we make each other smile.
    Saga is quite terrifying and I loved the series. I too coped with knitting and reading the subtitles eventually. Another one for you to look out for is Dicte also from Denmark, really enjoyed that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry your car was broken into, very very upsetting! That would just devastate me!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi. I just saw your post on Karen's blog about using a Leuchtturm notebook to bullet journal. I'm setting one up to start in September, and I am really excited about it. I am hoping it will make me more organized and more mindful!
    So sorry about your car. There are few things that are as big a headache as replacing all your cards.

    ReplyDelete