Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Sunday Before Tuesday





:: The leaves are dropping from the trees at an alarming rate. These trees seem like some of the last sentinels guarding the autumn colours.




:: Time to start raking. A neighbour told me we are supposed to have a colder than normal winter, and that piling leaves around the base of our trees will help protect them from the cold. I'm not sure if it's true, but thought it couldn't hurt.


Lotte Ravelry details

:: Here is Lotte, the latest project off my needles. It was knit with the souvenir yarn I bought in Edinburgh back in the fall of 2011. My cousin Kath and I had just finished an epic walk over the Cateran Trail in Perthshire, Scotland. After the walk we headed to Edinburgh, and while we were there we had a meet-up with Jean Miles. It was the beginning of a very special friendship, one that saw us travel together to Shetland two years later.




:: The leaves may be disappearing, but the fungi that pop up everywhere in the autumn months are still abundant.




:: Most of October it rained. Record setting rain, as in 28 out of 31 days. That rain has mostly continued into November, but we have had a few nice days. These mostly start out with fog, but once it burns off it's brilliant.




:: These birds seemed to be enjoying the break in the weather as much as me. They just kept swimming in circles, totally ignoring my presence.




:: The beaver is hard at work again.

:: Friday was Jay's birthday and I made him an oatmeal cake. I've posted about this Hammond tradition before. I would be embarrassed if you could see how little of that cake is left. Caution: view the recipe at your own risk. I won't accept any responsibility for what happens if you make it.

:: Did anyone else start watching The Crown this weekend? It's an American-British series Netflix has produced, and I am loving it!




:: Yesterday I came across this quote by T'ien Yiheng, and it seems very appropriate: "Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world." I have to admit to being somewhat stressed about the election in the US on Tuesday. A few months ago it all seemed mildly entertaining. Now it all seems rather horrifying. I know I am not alone in those feelings.
   



23 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures and I love, love mushrooms... that is one thing I miss from our country-house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have got all our rain! We had some this weekend, but it has been very dry through September and October here.
    Last year, we were lucky enough to catch James Rebanks' talk at the Literary festival in Cumbria. An unusual combination of skills, he has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely not alone in your anxiety about the U.S. election. I'd like to go to sleep and wake up when it's over to find out that the right candidate won!
    Beautiful photos. I love the pier going out toward the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristie, horrifying is a mild word to describe how many of us feel about what is happening here. There is no way to escape it, morning or night! We can but vote, and pray that the right candidate wins. To continue your last thought - Keep calm, drink tea and knit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is difficult not to be anxious about the US elections. Your autumnal photos are beautiful, I think autumn is very photogenic. We've had a very dry October and it continues to be dry. Very unusual. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think all sane people are feeling horrified by our election. Love the blue of your sweater, what a gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i cannot handle those beautiful views, wow.
    equally jarring is the rich, rich blue of your cardigan--it's almost like your camera can hardly handle such intensity of that color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! The Three Pines mug. I've just finished reading Louise Penny's most recent novel. Very enjoyable as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found you via Hostess of the HumbleBungalow. Love that sweater.You are one talented knitter. This from someone who makes scarves! Spotted the "three pines" mug.We are kindred spirits. As for our election this Tuesday, I have never been so anxious and I've been around a long time. I am doing a lot of deep breathing and sending out hope for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found you via Hostess of the HumbleBungalow. Love that sweater.You are one talented knitter. This from someone who makes scarves! Spotted the "three pines" mug.We are kindred spirits. As for our election this Tuesday, I have never been so anxious and I've been around a long time. I am doing a lot of deep breathing and sending out hope for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful fall photos of the lake! Your sweater is beautiful ... love that deep blue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning photos. We have had the mildest October for many a year here in the UK, now the temperatures are dropping it makes it feel really cold. Love the cardigan and is a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has been a spectacular autumn here too.....the colours of your leaves, gorgeous! I worry about the election too. Some soothing knitting will be required for Tuesday night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos. I love your header, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't started watching it yet, but maybe later today I will get to it. Looking forward!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where you live, looks like heaven. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely sweater!! I love fall and yours is looking glorious :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, happy belated birthday to Jay! Fall is a wonderful time for a birthday. I'm getting a lot of fungi in my yard, but I usually step on them before thinking to take a picture. There's been an assortment. Leaves on the ground are the worst part of fall, but I don't mind cleaning them up. But I do get annoyed when my neighbor blows leaves into my yard RIGHT AFTER I rake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am enjoying the Crown very much, just finished a Louise Penny mystery, have drunk enough tea to soothe any savage, love jeans blog and am considering a move to Canada! Truly I love your blog, as well and I will stay here and fight for my beliefs. Just can't believe ignorance won. Pray for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Twenty eight days with rain sounds quite dismal! Your images of the lake are beautiful. I too have recently seen in the blogging world leaves acting as extra insulation. The results remind me so much of Brexit, it seems many wanted to move over the board to Canada too! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVING The Crown! These pictures are beautiful, and what a lovely knit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You live in such a beautiful place, the photos are beautiful. I think an awful lot of us across the world are stressed about the election.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd say!! I am alarmed at least. But, Trump is just a man among men, he will have his time and then be gone. I hope his impact on the world won't be as we fear from everything said and done during campaigning.... but alarmed I am!! Meanwhile, Kristie, I get so joyful by your pictures and knitting. That blue colour was astounding, a great model too!!! You really live in a beautiful spot of Creation, and you give us the best of it, from squirrels to leafs!!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete