Thursday, December 22, 2016

Almost Ready



'Twas the night before Christmas guests arrived, and all through the fridge,
Not a square inch was left to put anything, not even a smidge;




The ornaments were placed high with great care,
In hopes that Ella and Oliver couldn't reach there;




Fergus and Jenny were nestled all snug in their crates:
While visions danced in their heads of food falling off plates...




Sorry, but that's as far as I can go with that! Things are a little crazy here as I get ready for everyone to arrive tomorrow. There will be sixteen of us in total for about five days (some are staying less time, some longer). Several other cottages have been rented, and I've purchased so much food that I've not only filled our fridge, I've also filled the fridge of one of those rental cottages.

I did manage to finish all my Christmas knitting. There was one particularly bleak moment two nights ago when I was knitting the wings on fairies and thought I might go a bit mad. I was knitting while watching The Sound of Music, which is one of my pre-Christmas traditions (watching the movie, not knitting wings). I was also texting with a knitting friend, whining about the wings. I took a picture of one of the fairies, minus its hat since those hadn't yet been knit, to send to her. It turned out to be the perfect screen shot, as I imagine the look on my face at that point pretty much matched this look on Maria's.




We've slipped past the solstice, and now Hanukkah, Christmas and a New Year are rapidly approaching. I hope that you have a wonderful season of celebration.  I will be back in the New Year with a report on all the gift knitting that has been happening here. Until then...




Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

25 comments:

  1. I so wish I could get in the mood, but it eludes me... but your oreparation seems to go on just fine. I can't wait to see all your Xmas knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! You've thought of everything. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas! I love your Fergus and Jenny lyrics ... they made me laugh. And the knitted Santa above is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! I love your Fergus and Jenny lyrics ... they made me laugh. And the knitted Santa above is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your family. Have a great time x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely Christmas preparations and expectations. I can relate to your fairy troubles as I knit little mice ornaments this year, and those tiny ears! Have a wonderful Christmas with your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your festive decor is lovely...I like the red and white theme.
    The cute little knitted items are such fun!
    Wishing you a Joyous Holiday.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a safe and joyous holiday with your family, Kristie -- Merry Christmas and all the very best for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hosting 16! You are going to have a very wondeful and tiring holiday -- the best kind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas.. enjoy your family time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute and funny, Kristie, and a lot like what is happening hereabouts too. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely big family, and have a very Happy New Year too. Enjoy it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your take on 'The Night Before Christmas' – great! Have a wonderful Christmas and I hope you find time to completely relax :-) Sam x PS Your knitting looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Christmas! I love the poem and I love the angel wing knitting and the sound of music tradition! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you got those fairy wings knitted in time. It sounds like you are going to be busy in a good way. Glad to hear not all 16 visitors will need a bed in your own cottage :-) Wishing you a wonderful time with your family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sending you a big Christmas hug my friend. May you enjoy every moment you can with your beautiful family. DOn't worry to much, everyone will be fed and happy.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful version of the poem and a lovely new header! Hope you had a fantastic time with your family, best wishes. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Kristie, what a poet and creative woman you really are!! Such love and anticipation, with the knitting and the fridgefilling and decorating. Nice to have the family home. Thank you for the lovely post and hopefully you will have a joyous and interesting New Year! Blessings from Sweden!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful post and it made me smile too. Have a very happy New Year! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG, absolutely adorable! Wonderful! I wish you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. merry Christmas AND happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I your Christmas decor and poetry! Nice touches. Wishing you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your home decorations are beautiful - I love the life-giving red!! I hope you enjoyed your guests and all have had safe journeys. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Belated merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I hope 2017 found all your family happy and healthy...and all the appliances working!!! :)

    I woke up Christmas morning thinking I was having an appendicitis, but I was lucky. Before heading to the hospital I realized it was just a severe stomach bug, later augmented by a sinus infection. I was well by NYE, so I'm hoping that set the stage for a healthy 2017.

    ReplyDelete